Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz: A Full Head-to-Toe Breakdown for UFC 183

It’s been too long.
And what a wait it’s been. 
A gruesome broken leg prevented Anderson Silva from stepping inside of the cage for over a year. A loss of competitive spirit (or monetary incentive) prevented Nick Diaz from stepping inside of the c…

It’s been too long.

And what a wait it’s been. 

A gruesome broken leg prevented Anderson Silva from stepping inside of the cage for over a year. A loss of competitive spirit (or monetary incentive) prevented Nick Diaz from stepping inside of the cage for a little under two years. 

Presumably in the red corner, there will be a man who’s blazed a trail of historic proportions, destroying the Chael Sonnens, Vitor Belforts, Dan Hendersons, Rich Franklins and Forrest Griffins of the MMA landscape. The guy in the blue corner is no slouch either, building a pretty impressive resume of his own. Diaz has stockpiled wins over B.J. Penn, Frank Shamrock and Paul Daley. He’s also the only guy who has knocked Robbie Lawler out inside of a cage.

Buckle yourself in as we break the UFC 183 main event down from head to toe. 

Begin Slideshow

Spike TV president: Rampage Jackson’s actions ‘not unexpected if you look at the history’

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Viacom invested quite a bit in Quinton Jackson when it signed the MMA standout to a multi-tiered contract two years ago. “Rampage” was promoted hard by Bellator and also made appearances on TNA Impact pro wrestling, which was on Spike TV at the time.

Last month, though, Jackson surprisingly announced that he had re-signed with the UFC, which drew many questions. Wasn’t he still under contract with Viacom and Bellator? Bellator MMA president Scott Coker said that indeed is the case. But Jackson counters that he terminated the agreement per the language in his deal when a dispute was not addressed within the contracted 45-day window.

“It’s disappointing,” Spike TV president Kevin Kay told MMAFighting.com on Thursday at a media day to promote Premier Boxing Champions on Spike. “It’s not unexpected if you look at the history of that particular fighter. That’s all I can really say.”

Jackson, 36, has often been down on his employers. He left the UFC in 2013 when his contract expired and spent the next few months bashing the organization, which he believed tried to ruin his brand. Jackson said the UFC continuously gave him bad matchups and caused him to no longer love the sport of MMA.

Now, though, he is back with that organization and is booked to fight at UFC 186 against Fabio Maldonado on April 25. “Rampage” tweeted in December that sometimes it’s better to stay with the devil you know, referring to the UFC.

Just a thought.. But I’ve learned a big lesson in life and business: sometimes u should just stay with the devil u know @ufc

— Quinton Jackson (@Rampage4real) November 18, 2014

Coker has remained mum on the subject since his initial statement, halting questions with the phrase: “It’s in the hands of the lawyers.” Kay did the same thing when asked where Bellator goes from here Thursday.

“I can’t comment on it,” he said. “That’s in the hands of wherever it’s gonna be.”

Though the legal team has taken the reins, it remains unclear whether Bellator will file an injunction in an attempt to block Jackson from fighting for the UFC in April.

In an interview with MMAFighting.com in December, Coker compared the Jackson situation to one between the UFC and Mark Cuban-owned HDNet Fights over Randy Couture in 2008. The UFC ended up winning that battle and Couture re-signed after initially wanting to jump ship to HDNet Fights for massive bout with Fedor Emelianenko.

Ariel Helwani asked Coker on this past Monday’s The MMA Hour about “Rampage” being booked to fight at UFC 186. Coker responded: “In this sport, nothing surprises me.”

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Viacom invested quite a bit in Quinton Jackson when it signed the MMA standout to a multi-tiered contract two years ago. “Rampage” was promoted hard by Bellator and also made appearances on TNA Impact pro wrestling, which was on Spike TV at the time.

Last month, though, Jackson surprisingly announced that he had re-signed with the UFC, which drew many questions. Wasn’t he still under contract with Viacom and Bellator? Bellator MMA president Scott Coker said that indeed is the case. But Jackson counters that he terminated the agreement per the language in his deal when a dispute was not addressed within the contracted 45-day window.

“It’s disappointing,” Spike TV president Kevin Kay told MMAFighting.com on Thursday at a media day to promote Premier Boxing Champions on Spike. “It’s not unexpected if you look at the history of that particular fighter. That’s all I can really say.”

Jackson, 36, has often been down on his employers. He left the UFC in 2013 when his contract expired and spent the next few months bashing the organization, which he believed tried to ruin his brand. Jackson said the UFC continuously gave him bad matchups and caused him to no longer love the sport of MMA.

Now, though, he is back with that organization and is booked to fight at UFC 186 against Fabio Maldonado on April 25. “Rampage” tweeted in December that sometimes it’s better to stay with the devil you know, referring to the UFC.

Coker has remained mum on the subject since his initial statement, halting questions with the phrase: “It’s in the hands of the lawyers.” Kay did the same thing when asked where Bellator goes from here Thursday.

“I can’t comment on it,” he said. “That’s in the hands of wherever it’s gonna be.”

Though the legal team has taken the reins, it remains unclear whether Bellator will file an injunction in an attempt to block Jackson from fighting for the UFC in April.

In an interview with MMAFighting.com in December, Coker compared the Jackson situation to one between the UFC and Mark Cuban-owned HDNet Fights over Randy Couture in 2008. The UFC ended up winning that battle and Couture re-signed after initially wanting to jump ship to HDNet Fights for massive bout with Fedor Emelianenko.

Ariel Helwani asked Coker on this past Monday’s The MMA Hour about “Rampage” being booked to fight at UFC 186. Coker responded: “In this sport, nothing surprises me.”

MMA, boxing in danger of becoming illegal in Tennessee this summer

Tennessee’s biggest fight this year won’t be in a cage or ring. It’ll be in the political arena.

Tennessee Athletic Commission executive director Jeff Mullen confirmed with MMAFighting.com on Monday that the commission will be disbanded by July 1. New legislation needs to be introduced by next month to save the commission — and MMA, boxing and kickboxing in the state. If not, all those combat sports will be illegal and unregulated in Tennessee.

“If nothing is done, if new legislation isn’t passed by Feb. 12, the commission will go away until July 1,” Mullen said.

Mullen could not comment any further on the situation. Marc Ratner, the vice president of regulatory affairs for the UFC, told MMAFighting.com that the UFC is attempting to give an assist.

“We’re very away of the situation and working to help the commission,” Ratner said.

Currently, the only state without legal professional mixed martial arts is New York.

Sources with knowledge of the situation in Tennessee told MMAFighting.com that not renewing the Tennessee Athletic Commission, which was implemented in 2008, would be a cost-cutting move. The commission is reliant on larger shows — like the UFC, Bellator or a big boxing card — to make its budget. Regional shows break even and small shows actually lose money. If there is no large show in a given year, there isn’t enough money to pay for the day-to-day operations of the commission.

The UFC has not visited Tennessee since Jan. 20, 2012 for UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller. Before that, UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez was held in Memphis on Dec. 12, 2009. Bellator has never been to Tennessee, though it did its pay-per-view last May 17 in nearby Southaven, Miss. New Bellator president Scott Coker brought several shows in Tennessee when he ran Strikeforce, including a big CBS event on April 17, 2010 featuring Dan Henderson against Jake Shields in the main event.

The UFC’s first trip to Tennessee, back in 2009, actually netted what was the best attendance for a Fight Night event at the time (10,267).

The website Nashville Sports Mix has instructions for state residents to help in the battle to keep MMA and boxing legal.

Tennessee’s biggest fight this year won’t be in a cage or ring. It’ll be in the political arena.

Tennessee Athletic Commission executive director Jeff Mullen confirmed with MMAFighting.com on Monday that the commission will be disbanded by July 1. New legislation needs to be introduced by next month to save the commission — and MMA, boxing and kickboxing in the state. If not, all those combat sports will be illegal and unregulated in Tennessee.

“If nothing is done, if new legislation isn’t passed by Feb. 12, the commission will go away until July 1,” Mullen said.

Mullen could not comment any further on the situation. Marc Ratner, the vice president of regulatory affairs for the UFC, told MMAFighting.com that the UFC is attempting to give an assist.

“We’re very away of the situation and working to help the commission,” Ratner said.

Currently, the only state without legal professional mixed martial arts is New York.

Sources with knowledge of the situation in Tennessee told MMAFighting.com that not renewing the Tennessee Athletic Commission, which was implemented in 2008, would be a cost-cutting move. The commission is reliant on larger shows — like the UFC, Bellator or a big boxing card — to make its budget. Regional shows break even and small shows actually lose money. If there is no large show in a given year, there isn’t enough money to pay for the day-to-day operations of the commission.

The UFC has not visited Tennessee since Jan. 20, 2012 for UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller. Before that, UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez was held in Memphis on Dec. 12, 2009. Bellator has never been to Tennessee, though it did its pay-per-view last May 17 in nearby Southaven, Miss. New Bellator president Scott Coker brought several shows in Tennessee when he ran Strikeforce, including a big CBS event on April 17, 2010 featuring Dan Henderson against Jake Shields in the main event.

The UFC’s first trip to Tennessee, back in 2009, actually netted what was the best attendance for a Fight Night event at the time (10,267).

The website Nashville Sports Mix has instructions for state residents to help in the battle to keep MMA and boxing legal.

UFC 183: A Win over Nick Diaz Should Not Garner Anderson Silva a Title Shot

Anderson Silva is a major star within mixed martial arts. His status as a legend was cemented with a title reign that included 10 defenses of the UFC Middleweight Championship and 16 straight wins in the Octagon. However, returning to competition at UF…

Anderson Silva is a major star within mixed martial arts. His status as a legend was cemented with a title reign that included 10 defenses of the UFC Middleweight Championship and 16 straight wins in the Octagon. However, returning to competition at UFC 183 has created an interesting wrinkle. Even though Silva is a name that the sport has come to love, he should not be granted a title shot with a victory over Nick Diaz.

In an interview on UFC Tonight, UFC President Dana White mentioned Silva’s name as a potential contender if he is able to defeat the Stockton, California, native on Saturday (via Sherdog’s Tristen Critchfield):

“2015 is starting off with amazing fights. It’s the best January in the company’s history. And all these fights lead to bigger fights. You’ve got Vitor Belfort versus Chris Weidman, then Anderson. If Anderson wins, he can fight the winner of either Vitor or Weidman.”

That statement causes some serious issues within the middleweight division, all of which point to the idea that even though Silva is a major draw in the promotion, he should not be placed in such a position at this time.

First, there is the question as to how this development will hold up the rest of the division. Currently, the UFC has Silva ranked at No. 1. Right behind him is Ronaldo Souza, who is on a four-fight win streak.

Even though he has been very impressive since moving over to the UFC from Strikeforce, Souza finds himself in a place to be passed over by Silva. This move is based on more entertainment than sporting value. Souza‘s manager, Gilberto Faria, made mention of the situation in a recent report by Guilherme Cruz of MMAFighting.com:

It’s up to the top fighters of the division like Ronaldo ‘Jacare,’ Yoel Romero, Lyoto Machida and Luke Rockhold, who are going after their chances for the title, to when they fight, change Dana’s mind. That can happen at any time. I believe ‘Jacare’ is, today, the fighter with the most credentials to earn a title shot, and a win over a tough fighter like Yoel Romero will prove that.

Unfortunately for Souza, a bout with pneumonia has forced him to withdraw from the fight against Yoel Romero at UFC 184. His absence creates an opening for Silva to slide in as the No. 1 contender. Men such as Romero and Luke Rockhold should feel slighted because they have been more active and successful than Silva in recent months.

Secondly, one must question the value of a win over Nick Diaz. Diaz is also coming off of two straight losses and a lengthy absence from competition. Plus, he has spent most of his career as a welterweight, where his best examples of success occurred in promotions other than the UFC. A win over him, even if it is a highlight-reel knockout, should not be enough to earn a shot at a title in which Diaz himself is not considered a contender.

Beyond that point, Diaz himself has not been promised the same reward should he pull off the upset at UFC 183.

Mixed martial arts is a professional sport and like any other: Entertainment value is a main drive toward the bottom line. Fighters who are able to draw attention to the sport will see more opportunities than those who can’t do the same.

Anderson Silva is one of those fighters. If he defeats Nick Diaz at UFC 183, the powers behind the scenes may grant him a title shot, even if there are other men more deserving.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Conor McGregor Says He’s ‘Like Vincent Van Gogh’ in New Irish Documentary

Conor McGregor has taken the UFC by storm, and nowhere has his impact been felt more than in his native Ireland. 
Such is his popularity in the country that the state’s broadcaster, RTE, is showing a six-part documentary about the UFC featherweig…

Conor McGregor has taken the UFC by storm, and nowhere has his impact been felt more than in his native Ireland. 

Such is his popularity in the country that the state’s broadcaster, RTE, is showing a six-part documentary about the UFC featherweight contender that begins Monday night. 

In the documentary, McGregor draws an interesting comparison between himself and the 19th century post-impressionist painter, Vincent van Gogh

As per the Sunday World, via Balls.ie

I’ve lost my mind doing this. Like Vincent van Gogh. He dedicated his life to his art and lost his mind in the process. That’s happened to me. But f–k it.

When that gold belt is around my waist and when my mother has a big mansion, when my girlfriend has a different car for every day of the week, when my kids have everything they ever want…then it will pay. Then I’ll be happy I lost my mind. I’ll die a crazy old man!

McGregor is expected to take on champion Jose Aldo for his featherweight title in Las Vegas in May.

[Sunday World, h/t Balls.ie]

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Nick Diaz Knows What You Think About Him. He Also Knows You Cannot Turn Away

LODI, Calif.
Nick Diaz just doesn’t care what you think about him.
Sure, if you like his relentless attacking style in the UFC Octagon and his angry defiance outside of the cage, he’s cool with that. And if you’re among the legion o…

LODI, Calif.
Nick Diaz just doesn’t care what you think about him.
Sure, if you like his relentless attacking style in the UFC Octagon and his angry defiance outside of the cage, he’s cool with that. And if you’re among the legion of mixed-martial arts fans who believe he needs a serious attitude adjustment? Well, that’s your problem, not his.
But here’s the important thing: Diaz knows exactly who he is, and it’s not his job to make anyone else happy. He’s paid to fight and put on an entertaining show.

Details

What: UFC 1 … Read the Full Article Here