MMA’s First Mother-Son Duo Suffers Pair of Tough Stoppage Losses in Rizin FF

A mother and son competed on the same mixed martial arts card Sunday, but it did not go well for them.
At Rizin World Grand Prix 2017: Opening Round Part 2, Miyuu and Erson Yamamoto both took tough stoppage losses in a harsh turn for the family.
A…

A mother and son competed on the same mixed martial arts card Sunday, but it did not go well for them.

At Rizin World Grand Prix 2017: Opening Round Part 2, Miyuu and Erson Yamamoto both took tough stoppage losses in a harsh turn for the family.

After largely controlling the early action of her bout with Irene Cabello Rivera, Miyuu got sloppy on the ground and found herself in a deep armbar. She posted, rolled and bucked to the best of her ability but was forced to tap at 7:25 of the second round.

Her son fared even worse.

Facing Manel Kape in the first round of the bantamweight grand prix, Erson seemed flustered by Kape’s smack talk during the pre-fight staredown. Despite owning a distinct grappling advantage, Erson tried to strike with Kape. This was the result:

Neither suffered especially damaging losses—the armbar left Miyuu’s arm unhurt, while Erson’s loss was labeled an early stoppage by many—but this was still a bad night for the Yamamoto family.

The pair previously competed on the same card in Sept. 2016 to become the first mother-son duo to do so. Erson fared better with a split-decision win, while Miyuu took a loss.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Demetrious Johnson Deserves Seven-Figure Payday to Move Up for Superfight

At UFC 216, Demetrious Johnson became the most successful champion in UFC history. By defeating Ray Borg via suplex armbar, Johnson notched his 11th title defense, breaking the record set by Anderson Silva in 2012 and staking a strong claim to the “gre…

At UFC 216, Demetrious Johnson became the most successful champion in UFC history. By defeating Ray Borg via suplex armbar, Johnson notched his 11th title defense, breaking the record set by Anderson Silva in 2012 and staking a strong claim to the “greatest of all time” moniker.

With that accolade now in Johnson’s pocket, many have wondered what’s next for the flyweight champion. Speaking with MMAFighting.com’s Ariel Helwani on Monday’s edition of the MMA Hour, Johnson discussed what lies ahead as well as his intent to stay at 125 pounds for the foreseeable future, much to the chagrin of those who want to see him challenge heavier fighters.

“It was the easiest weight cut I ever had (at UFC 216). I mean, I woke up this morning at 138 pounds and I had a delicious chocolate stout, I had a bowl of cereal after,” he said (h/t MMAFighting.com‘s Shaun Al-Shatti for the transcription). And as for any move to the bantamweight division? “I’m just a small guy. I saw my boy, (UFC bantamweight) ‘Funkmaster’ Aljamain Sterling, he said, ‘Man, I just broke 160 pounds.’ And to me, I’m like, ‘Jesus, you are a big dude, my friend.'”

Warning, NSFW language in video

Despite the fact that Johnson has set the standard for MMA excellence for a few years now, the question of how he would do against an elite bantamweight has been asked frequently over recent months. This was spurred on by UFC President Dana White, who wound up in a public dispute with Johnson over his refusal to face former bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw. 

While Johnson’s reasons for turning down the fight were valid—boiling down to him not wanting to face a fighter with no name value who has never made flyweight on the eve of breaking that record—there was a fair bit of grumping about this from MMA fans as well as some pundits. 

The notion that Johnson is “scared of a challenge,” however, is absolutely silly. On top of the fact that he has faced a number of dangerous fighters at 125 pounds (including people who have nearly beaten him in the past), he’s down to fight any of the men who have called him out. The UFC just needs to pay him what he’s worth. And he’s worth seven figures.

“Make it worth my while,” he said. “Show me the money. These guys are taking concussions. Like I said after the fight, I’m not in the business to get concussions. I do not like getting hit. I can take a hit, but I don’t want to damage my brain if I don’t have to. … So I don’t know see why I would leave when I just cemented this legacy. Why not set it to 15 (title defenses).”

Even though the record is Johnson’s now, the toughest fights of his career may be just over the horizon, with an improved Henry Cejudo and hot prospect Sergio Pettis lined up to challenge him for the title. Johnson would enter fights with either of them as the favorite, sure, but the journey from 11 to 15 is shaping up to be harder than the trip from 0 to 10.

Of course, a nice layover fight against a bantamweight would be fun. But make no mistake: He’d be doing the UFC and his opponent a favor by taking that fight. And favors shouldn’t come free in the prizefighting business.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Tony Ferguson to Conor McGregor: Put the UFC Belt Down and Nobody Gets Hurt

Tony Ferguson scored arguably the biggest win of his MMA career Saturday night when he submitted Kevin Lee to capture the interim UFC lightweight championship. On paper, that victory should have been a winning ticket to the “Next to Fight Conor McGrego…

Tony Ferguson scored arguably the biggest win of his MMA career Saturday night when he submitted Kevin Lee to capture the interim UFC lightweight championship. On paper, that victory should have been a winning ticket to the “Next to Fight Conor McGregor” sweepstakes, but in reality the Irish striker’s future is incredibly murky with numerous other suitors all wanting a crack at MMA’s premiere meal ticket.

The newly minted titleholder isn’t too concerned with what’s next for McGregor, though. Speaking with Ariel Helwani on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour (warning, NSFW language), he delivered a chilling ultimatum to the lightweight champion.

“He didn’t say s–t on Twitter…he hasn’t said nothing. The boy is scared, he’s running,” he said. “I told him just set the belt down, walk away and nobody will get hurt. That’s all you’ve got to do, just set it down and you won’t get your ass kicked, I swear.”

In his rise to mainstream drawing power, McGregor has torn down a great deal of the UFC’s traditional sports framework. Normally, a UFC champion remains in his division, takes on challengers and defends his belt until losing it. 

McGregor, however, has pushed back against that and become a true prizefighter, seeking out the fights with the greatest fan appeal, much to the chagrin of some. Because of that, while Ferguson may, on paper, be next in line for McGregor, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him instead seek out a rubber match with Nate Diaz, a bout with returning top pay-per-view draw Georges St-Pierre or even another boxing match.

Still, while Ferguson can live without a “red panty night,” he’s not keen on letting the biggest paycheck of his career walk away unchallenged. “If you go to 170, 185, or even 145, I will f–king follow you, Conor,” he said in the same The MMA Hour podcast. “I will haunt your f–king dreams, kid.”

There have been rumbles that McGregor will return before year’s end. If so, it will be interesting to see what’s in store for Ferguson, McGregor and the entire UFC lightweight division.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Results: Winner and Scorecard from UFC 216

Demetrious Johnson did it. He broke the UFC’s long-held record for consecutive title defenses and did so in impressive fashion at UFC 216 in Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena.
Facing an overmatched Ray Borg, Mighty Mouse posted arguably the most dominant perfo…

Demetrious Johnson did it. He broke the UFC’s long-held record for consecutive title defenses and did so in impressive fashion at UFC 216 in Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena.

Facing an overmatched Ray Borg, Mighty Mouse posted arguably the most dominant performance of his career before capping the fight with one of the most amazing finishes in MMA history, submitting Borg at 3:15 of Round 5.

Things started off fairly well for the challenger. Borg looked to control the pace in the early goings of the first frame, pressing forward and chasing Johnson. While he flashed his explosiveness and powerful punches, Johnson neutralized his offense with superior footwork and takedown defense, then took the round with his ground work and lightning-quick scrambles.

The challenger adjusted to this in the second, exploding forward and forcing the action to the cage. He had his moments, taking Johnson down and actually getting back control at one point. Still, the champ showed calm under pressure, defended and likely stole the round with a late takedown.

That, however, was the end of the competitive portion of the fight.

Johnson utterly dominated the third round, taking Borg down and experiencing no difficulty maintaining dominant positions. Borg found an early takedown in the fourth but wasn’t even able to settle into guard, as Johnson slipped away, got back to his feet and proceeded to out-strike and out-grapple his opponent at every turn.

By the fifth, Borg had no answer to anything that Mighty Mouse was doing. He was playing chess to Borg’s checkers and eventually decided to post one of the greatest submissions in UFC history, throwing Borg backward, catching his wrist midair and grabbing hold of an armbar to end the fight.

It’s a phenomenal highlight and another chapter in his storied reign. The submission over Borg is Johnson’s 11th title defense, breaking the record set by Anderson Silva in 2012.

This victory, naturally, restarts the discussion about where Johnson ranks among the greatest mixed martial artists of all time and gives him an on-paper edge over other greats like Silva and Georges St-Pierre.

Naturally, no reign can last forever, and Johnson has a slew of fearsome challengers coming down the pipeline in old rivals Henry Cejudo and Joseph Benavidez, as well as new faces like Sergio Pettis and Jussier da Silva. Make no mistake, though. This was a special performance by a special fighter, and it’s one that will go down in the record books.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

UFC 216: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Predictions

UFC 216 is an awkward card for the UFC, sitting in the purgatory between the company’s summer blockbusters and its stacked winter shows. Still, there is a great deal of intrigue on this card and lots of fun waiting to be had. The main card stands as fo…

UFC 216 is an awkward card for the UFC, sitting in the purgatory between the company’s summer blockbusters and its stacked winter shows. Still, there is a great deal of intrigue on this card and lots of fun waiting to be had. The main card stands as follows:

  • Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee
  • Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg
  • Fabricio Werdum vs. Derrick Lewis
  • Mara Romero Borella vs. Kalindra Faria
  • Beneil Dariush vs. Evan Dunham

Naturally, the Bleacher Report MMA team is here to look over the card and deliver spoilers for Saturday night’s show.

So who will win at UFC 216? And how are they going to pull it off? Read on and find out!

Begin Slideshow

Dana White: UFC Donating $1 Million to Las Vegas Shooting Victims

Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company’s fighters. It’s no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over 500 injured, per CNN.com.
The MMA world is taki…

Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company’s fighters. It’s no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over 500 injured, per CNN.com.

The MMA world is taking action, with Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review-Journal tweeting the UFC plans to donate $1 million to victims of the shooting:

Personalities from all levels of the sport are looking to help those affected, including comedian and longtime UFC color commentator Joe Rogan, who will be donating the proceeds from his upcoming show to the Las Vegas Victims Fund:

Fighters have been unanimous in their support of the city as well:

Despite the tragedy, the company and its athletes will be returning to Las Vegas for UFC 216 on Saturday, according to CBSSports.com. Those wishing to donate to the Las Vegas Victims’ Fund can do so on its GoFundMe page.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com