Conor McGregor Apologizes for Ref Attack, Says ‘Emotions Got the Best of Me’

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor posted an apology Tuesday for attacking referee Marc Goddard during the Bellator 187 Friday at 3Arena in Dublin, Ireland.  
McGregor addressed the issue with a lengthy message on Instagram:

Mike Mazzul…

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor posted an apology Tuesday for attacking referee Marc Goddard during the Bellator 187 Friday at 3Arena in Dublin, Ireland.  

McGregor addressed the issue with a lengthy message on Instagram:

Mike Mazzulli, president of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation that oversaw the event, previously released a statement to MMAJunkie about McGregor’s actions when he entered the cage following a fight between Charlie Ward and John Redmond.

“The MTDAR has been in consultation with the upper management of the UFC regarding Mr. McGregor’s inappropriate and unacceptable behavior,” the statement read. “The MTDAR has also contacted members of the Association of Boxing Commissioners that have licensed Mr. McGregor in their jurisdictions to inform them of Mr. McGregor’s behavior.”

He added McGregor “assaulted Referee Mark Goddard and a Bellator staff [member].”

Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com noted the MTDAR doesn’t have jurisdiction to punish the 29-year-old Ireland native for his actions and it’s unclear whether the UFC or another regulatory body will act.

McGregor hasn’t taken part in an MMA event since defeating Eddie Alvarez by second-round knockout at UFC 205 last November to capture the lightweight title.

He made the switch to boxing for a cross-sport battle with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August and lost by knockout in the 10th round.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Max Holloway vs. Jose Aldo 2 Reportedly New UFC 218 Main Event

Jose Aldo is reportedly set to replace the injured Frankie Edgar for a featherweight championship fight against Max Holloway in the UFC 218 main event Dec. 2 at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Michigan.      
Ariel Helwani of MMA F…

Jose Aldo is reportedly set to replace the injured Frankie Edgar for a featherweight championship fight against Max Holloway in the UFC 218 main event Dec. 2 at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Michigan.      

Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting passed along word of the card change Saturday. The fight will be rematch of their bout at UFC 212 on June 3, which Holloway won by third-round technical knockout to win the title.

                   

This article will be updated to provide more information on this story as it becomes available.

Get the best sports content from the web and social in the new B/R app. Get the app and get the game.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Dana White Won’t Rule Out Greg Hardy Joining UFC

UFC president Dana White wouldn’t rule out the possibility of former NFL defensive lineman Greg Hardy eventually joining the MMA promotion.
TMZ Sports passed along comments from White as Hardy gets set for his amateur debut Saturday, and he said “maybe…

UFC president Dana White wouldn’t rule out the possibility of former NFL defensive lineman Greg Hardy eventually joining the MMA promotion.

TMZ Sports passed along comments from White as Hardy gets set for his amateur debut Saturday, and he said “maybe” when asked about potentially signing him in the future.

                 

This article will be updated to provide more information on this story as it becomes available.

Get the best sports content from the web and social in the new B/R app. Get the app and get the game.   

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Dana White Calls Jon Jones the Biggest Waste of Talent in All of Sports

UFC president Dana White said this week that former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the biggest waste of talent in the history of sports.
On Tuesday, Jim Edwards of MMAUno passed along White’s response on the TSN MMA Show when asked about Jones…

UFC president Dana White said this week that former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the biggest waste of talent in the history of sports.

On Tuesday, Jim Edwards of MMAUno passed along White’s response on the TSN MMA Show when asked about Jones’ inability to fully capitalize on his physical talent due to various issues.

“Ever…ever, in all of sports,” he said of Jones. “The guy is so talented and gifted…who knows what he would be doing now if he hadn’t ever got in trouble. He could possibly be the heavyweight champion and have the defense record that couldn’t be broken. The list goes on and on of what could’ve been with Jon Jones.”

The 30-year-old New York native has a long history of problems outside of the Octagon, which have overshadowed his incredible success inside it. He owns a career 22-1 record with one no-contest during an MMA career dating back to 2008.

Most recently, his knockout victory over rival Daniel Cormier in July was overturned after a failed performance-enhancing drug test for turinabol, an anabolic steroid.

White told the TSN MMA Show he wasn’t concerning himself with the length of Jones’ suspension or the fighter’s future in the UFC right now.

“Whatever happens, happens,” White said. “Believe me, I’m not mentally or emotionally invested in that anymore.”

The frank comments showcase Jones’ faded star within the top MMA promotion. He’s one of the greatest fighters in history and among its top draws when at the top of his game, but the latest setback has clearly had a major impact on White’s view of Bones. 

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Mike Perry Calls out Conor McGregor, Says He’d ‘Strangle’ Him in ‘2 Seconds’

Mike Perry, a rising star in the UFC welterweight division, said he’d like a chance to destroy lightweight champion Conor McGregor in McGregor’s native Ireland.
On Saturday, TMZ Sports passed along comments from Perry, who delivered a direct shot at Th…

Mike Perry, a rising star in the UFC welterweight division, said he’d like a chance to destroy lightweight champion Conor McGregor in McGregor’s native Ireland.

On Saturday, TMZ Sports passed along comments from Perry, who delivered a direct shot at The Notorious when asked about his dream fight.

“I’ll fight McGregor in Ireland. Wassup? In Dublin. Wassup? Quote me on that,” he said. “You’ll do f–kin’ nothin’, you f–kin’ prick. Once I put these hands on you, boy, I’ll strangle you in two seconds.”

Perry is set to face Alex Reyes as part of the UFC Fight Night 116: Rockhold vs. Branch card Saturday night at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh. He’s a heavy favorite (-550; bet $500 to win $100) in the bout, per OddsShark.

The 26-year-old from Flint, Michigan, owns a 10-1 career MMA record, including a 3-1 mark since he joined the UFC in October. His only loss came to Alan Jouban in December, but he bounced back win a knockout win over Jake Ellenberger in April.

He’s likely got more work to do before he can earn a shot at McGregor, though. RankingMMA.com places him 17th in the welterweight division.

Though the Irish sensation is the lightweight title holder and former featherweight champ, he’s moved to welterweight before to face Nate Diaz twice. His boxing match against Floyd Mayweather Jr. was also contested at super welterweight.

That said, there’s a long list of fighters waiting for a chance to face McGregor in the Octagon. UFC President Dana White said after the MMA star’s loss to Mayweather that he wanted him to stick with what he does best moving forward.

“I would rather he did not [box again],” White told reporters. “This isn’t what he does. He’s a mixed martial artist; he’s better when he uses all of his weapons. I think he did great tonight, but I want to see him back in the UFC.

“I’m ready to get back to the UFC. I was back there with him, and we’re not talking about fighting tonight. When he’s ready, he’ll let me know.”

While Perry might not get to fight McGregor anytime soon, his comments showed he’s prepared for the trash-talking battle that would ensure if he does get the opportunity.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Daniel Cormier Calls for Fans to ‘Lay Off’ Jon Jones After Positive PEDs Test

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier called on fans to “lay off” Jon Jones after Jones’ positive test for a performance-enhancing drug leading up to his victory in their July title fight, which led to Cormier’s reinstatement as champion.
On Fr…

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier called on fans to “lay off” Jon Jones after Jones’ positive test for a performance-enhancing drug leading up to his victory in their July title fight, which led to Cormier’s reinstatement as champion.

On Friday, Cormier posted a message on Instagram about giving his Octagon rival time to assess the situation in peace:

“Guys now I call upon you to take a breathe [sic], lay off of Jones. Let him and his team figure out what’s going on and what happened. I was down and some may have kicked me but the majority of you showed compassion and love. After the fight Jones showed compassion, regardless of what has happened as humans we must show compassion. Jon is not on this ride alone, remember this man has a family. Let’s respect that. You don’t show [your] support for me by hurting others.”

Jones defeated Cormer by third-round knockout July 29 to regain the light heavyweight belt, which he’d previously held from March 2011 through April 2015.

In August, however, TMZ Sports reported the New York native tested positive for Turinabol, an anabolic steroid, following the weigh-in the day before the bout.

Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com noted Wednesday the “B” sample confirmed the “A” sample findings.

Jones could receive a four-year suspension since it’s his second positive test. The previous came in July 2016 when “multiple anti-estrogenic agents” were found in his system.

On Thursday afternoon, Jones responded to a question from an individual on social media asking him to “tell the truth” about the situation.

“Dude the truth is I would never do steroids, I put that on my children and I put that on my Heavenly Father,” he wrote.

The fight result was changed to a no-contest due to Jones’ latest positive test. He owns a career 22-1 record with nine knockouts and six submissions. His only loss came by disqualification.

Cormier (19-1) lost to Jones in January 2015 for his only MMA defeat. His first title defense since being reinstated as champion hasn’t been announced.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com