Khabib Nurmagomedov has no interest in a championship rematch with Conor McGregor.
If Khabib Nurmagomedov’s latest interview is anything to go by, former UFC double-champ Conor McGregor can kiss goodbye to a rematch with the undefeated Dagestani.
Speaking to reporters at a UFC 242 pre-fight press conference to hype his upcoming lightweight title unification bout against Dustin Poirier, ‘The Eagle’ shot down any talk of a rematch with McGregor and said the Irishman begged for his life at UFC 229.
“The last three years he only have one victory in amateur boxing, how [does] he deserve rematch?” Nurmagomedov said about McGregor, per MMA Fighting’s Damon Martin. “He tapped. He begged me ‘please, don’t kill me’ and he talks about rematch. Tony Ferguson on the line. People who have win streak are on the line but not the guy who don’t win nothing the last three years.
“I have a lot of work without him. Right now, I’m focused on Sept. 7.”
Nurmagomedov, 30, submitted McGregor in the fourth round of last year’s blockbuster grudge match at UFC 229 to retain his lightweight title.
Khabib will now unify the titles against newly-crowned interim champ Dustin Poirier at UFC 242, and the Russian is treating ‘The Diamond’ as his toughest opponent to date.
“I’m preparing for this fight like I’m going to have the hardest fight in my life,” Nurmagomedov said. “I can’t wait. Sept. 7 is going to be a big, big night for me, for my legacy and for Dustin, too.”
UFC 242: Khabib vs. Poirier takes place later this year, Sept. 7 at du Arena in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.