Junior Dos Santos: “This Last Year Was A Nightmare”, USADA Needs to Change

Junior Dos Santos hasn’t been inside a UFC octagon since he dropped a title fight to Stipe Miocic at UFC 211. He was scheduled to fight Francis Ngannou in the fall but a USADA violation derailed his career for nearly 9 months. Following a lengthy…

Junior Dos Santos hasn’t been inside a UFC octagon since he dropped a title fight to Stipe Miocic at UFC 211. He was scheduled to fight Francis Ngannou in the fall but a USADA violation derailed his career for nearly 9 months. Following a lengthy investigation, USADA cleared JDS and two other fighters of having […]

The post Junior Dos Santos: “This Last Year Was A Nightmare”, USADA Needs to Change appeared first on MMA News.

Junior Dos Santos Claims USADA Made His Last Year ‘A Nightmare’

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos will finally return to the octagon when he meets Blagoy Ivanov in the main event of July 14’s UFC Fight Night 133 from Boise, but it’s been a long road to get there for him. Dos Santos was provisionally suspended for testing positive for banned diuretic hydrochlorothiazide in a […]

The post Junior Dos Santos Claims USADA Made His Last Year ‘A Nightmare’ appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos will finally return to the octagon when he meets Blagoy Ivanov in the main event of July 14’s UFC Fight Night 133 from Boise, but it’s been a long road to get there for him.

Dos Santos was provisionally suspended for testing positive for banned diuretic hydrochlorothiazide in a normal USADA sample collection last August. He was then pulled from his UFC 215 bout against Francis Ngannou last September. After a lengthy adjudication process, however, “Cigano” and his Brazilian countrymen Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Marcos Rogerio de Lima were found to have been flagged due to tainted supplements produced by a pharmacy.

He’ll now return when he was given a six-month suspension that has now expired, but the time – and the big fight with Ngannou – is gone for now. Dos Santos recently opened up about the frustrating times he experienced trying to clear his name to MMA Fighting, noting that he felt he was guilty until proven innocent. Ultimately, he feels his name is cleared, which was of the utmost importance to the knockout slugger:

“They stopped my whole career to investigate the thing,” dos Santos said. “I think that goes in the completely opposite direction of the law. I’m innocent until proven guilty. In this case, it’s different — you’re guilty until you’re proven innocent. So, yeah. This is not good, man. Especially in my case, that I knew I didn’t do anything wrong and I was going all through this situation. It was a very bad feeling.

“I feel the truth was found and everybody knows that was a tainted supplement,” dos Santos said. “It wasn’t my fault, it wasn’t my intention. There’s always negative people, that they keep saying bad things about you. They hold on the negative things. But I feel like I got my reputation back. It’s very, very important to me.”

“Cigano” went into further detail about why his process was so frustrating, focusing on the fact that he had tested positive for extremely low levels of the banned substance, something that should have tipped USADA off to the questionable nature of his failure. Such a trivial amount, he suggested, is too much to hold up a hard-working athlete’s career:

“Based on those numbers, on those things, in my mind USADA would be the organization that know that I’m not a cheater,” dos Santos said. “But it wasn’t like that. I still went through this whole investigation, this whole scenario and they were putting me as a cheater. It was very bad, man. Now, I hope they can keep a clean sport however they can do that. But they have better rules, better ways to treat the athletes. Because it’s our lives. I hope the system gets better.”

Overall, though, dos Santos still supports USADA because he wants the UFC to feature clean champs:

“I know this sport, these drugs, these performance-enhancing drugs are a big problem for all the athletes. Because everybody knows most of the athletes, in general, in other sports, too, sometimes they take PEDs. I want to see a clean sport, because we want to know who is the real champion. We don’t want to see a fake champion over there.”

While he may be in favor of a clean sport, he reiterated that proving his innocence made his life a nightmare for the last year, and the ordeal saddened him. “Cigano” chose to affirm that he became champion the right way, and wants to yet again:

“This last year was a nightmare for me, because man, I never imagine I could go through something like that in my career,” dos Santos said. “I’ve been playing the fair game my entire career. I became the champion of the world like that and my goal is to become champion of the world again this way. This thing that happened with me and USADA, that was very sad for me.”

The post Junior Dos Santos Claims USADA Made His Last Year ‘A Nightmare’ appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Junior dos Santos Returns Against Former WSOF Champion at UFC Boise

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos has his return fight lined up. The heavyweight star has been on the sidelines since he was flagged for a potential USADA anti-doping violation back in August of 2017. As a result of that violation, he w…

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos has his return fight lined up. The heavyweight star has been on the sidelines since he was flagged for a potential USADA anti-doping violation back in August of 2017. As a result of that violation, he was forced out of his UFC 215 barnburner against hard-hitting and former […]

The post Junior dos Santos Returns Against Former WSOF Champion at UFC Boise appeared first on MMA News.

Report: Junior Dos Santos’ Return Fight Set For July

According to a report from ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, a heavyweight fight between former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos and Blagoy Ivanov has been scheduled to main event a UFC Fight Night card on July 14, 2018 from the CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho. Dos Santos hasn’t competed since suffering a vicious first-round TKO loss […]

The post Report: Junior Dos Santos’ Return Fight Set For July appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

According to a report from ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, a heavyweight fight between former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos and Blagoy Ivanov has been scheduled to main event a UFC Fight Night card on July 14, 2018 from the CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho.

Dos Santos hasn’t competed since suffering a vicious first-round TKO loss to champion Stipe Miocic last May at UFC 211. He was then scheduled to take on Francis Ngannou late last year, but was forced to withdraw from the fight after it was announced that he had been flagged by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) for a possible anti-doping violation.

Earlier this month, however, USADA deemed that the positive test stemmed from a contaminated supplement. Dos Santos agreed to serve a retroactive six-month suspension, making him eligible to compete again immediately.

Prior to his loss to Miocic, Dos Santos had split wins and losses in his last six bouts, earning victories over Mark Hunt, Miocic and Ben Rothwell, while suffering losses to Cain Velasquez and Alistair Overeem.

Ivanov, meanwhile, will be making his UFC debut on the card. The 31-year-old, who has competed in Bellator, World Series of Fighting and PFL, is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

The UFC has not yet officially confirmed the bout.

The post Report: Junior Dos Santos’ Return Fight Set For July appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Former Heavyweight Champ Eyes Bout With Alexander Volkov

Following a recent decision made by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency), former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos is eligible to compete immediately after the third-party testing organization deemed that Dos Santos’ 2017 failed drug test stemmed from a contaminated supplement. Dos Santos hasn’t competed since suffering a thunderous first-round knockout to reigning titleholder Stipe […]

The post Former Heavyweight Champ Eyes Bout With Alexander Volkov appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Following a recent decision made by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency), former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos is eligible to compete immediately after the third-party testing organization deemed that Dos Santos’ 2017 failed drug test stemmed from a contaminated supplement.

Dos Santos hasn’t competed since suffering a thunderous first-round knockout to reigning titleholder Stipe Miocic at UFC 211 last May in Dallas, Texas. He was then scheduled to take on feared contender Francis Ngannou late last year, but that bout fell through following his failed drug test.

Now ready to return, the Brazilian has a few options on the table, but he appears to be most interested in a fight with rising contender Alexander Volkov:

“I had already closed a deal to fight Ngannou before all this happened,” Dos Santos told Combate. “He could be an option, but I think he has another fight. A rematch with Overeem could be nice, but I think he has a fight, too. I also don’t think he’d take that fight. There’s Werdum, actually there’s not, he wouldn’t take it. But I think there’s Alexander Volkov, he’s climbing the division and has no fights scheduled. That would be a perfect match-up. I know he wants to fight for the belt, so I’ll give him that feeling of what it’s like to fight for the belt.”

Volkov, a former Bellator heavyweight champion, has won four-straight fights since signing with the UFC. That streak includes decision victories over Timothy Johnson and Roy Nelson as well as highly impressive stoppage victories over Stefan Struve and Fabricio Werdum.

Dos Santos, meanwhile, had split wins and losses over his previous six bouts before meeting Miocic. That stretch included victories over Mark Hunt, Miocic and Ben Rothwell in addition to losses to Cain Velasquez and Alistair Overeem.

Do you like this match-up between Dos Santos and Volkov?

The post Former Heavyweight Champ Eyes Bout With Alexander Volkov appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Junior dos Santos Welcomes Bout With Alexander Volkov

Junior dos Santos wants a piece of rising heavyweight Alexander Volkov. Volkov earned the biggest win of his professional mixed martial arts career last month. He knocked out former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum in the main event of UFC Lond…

Junior dos Santos wants a piece of rising heavyweight Alexander Volkov. Volkov earned the biggest win of his professional mixed martial arts career last month. He knocked out former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum in the main event of UFC London. The finish earned Volkov a “Performance of the Night” bonus. With the victory, Volkov […]

The post Junior dos Santos Welcomes Bout With Alexander Volkov appeared first on MMA News.