Georges St-Pierre Updates Health Status, Fighting Future

The former welterweight and middleweight champ offers an update on his health status.

The post Georges St-Pierre Updates Health Status, Fighting Future appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Georges St-Pierre is still on the mend following his UFC middleweight title win last year.

The Canadian UFC legend defeated Michael Bisping in the main event of UFC 217 on pay-per-view (PPV). With the victory, “GSP” became one of few men to win a title in two different weight classes in the UFC. Following the victory, however, St-Pierre was forced to vacate his title after contracting colitis.

St-Pierre believes this occurred as a result of the weight he gained to make middleweight. He offered an update on his health status to MMA Fighting recently. St-Pierre noted almost all his symptoms are gone and he’s slowly dosing down his anti-inflammatory medication:

“Definitely the worst has passed,” St-Pierre said. “I’m dosing down the medication that I have. The medication is anti-inflammatory, so you have to dose it down. Not in one shot, you can’t stop in one shot, but I’m dosing it down every month and soon it will be past, a story of the past. As it goes right now, pretty much all of the symptoms are almost gone.”

Upcoming MMA Return?

While he’s inching closer to an Octagon return, “GSP” isn’t going to rush anything. His fight against Bisping was his first after a four-year hiatus from the sport. Now fans will likely have to wait over a year before seeing him back in the Octagon again.

St-Pierre is reluctant to sign a contract to fight anyone right now. He said once the contract is signed, the mental warfare begins. The former two-division titleholder doesn’t want to put that stress on his body while he’s not fully recovered from his illness:

“I don’t want any contract to fight somebody right now,” St-Pierre said. “Because the minute you sign a contract, the mental warfare starts, and stress is something that amplifies everything. So I want to make sure I deal with it, I take care of it, and when everything will be finished, I will be able to look forward.

“My health is the most important thing for me. [But I’m] absolutely not [closing the door on fighting again]. I’m keeping the door open. When I close it, then people will know. But right now it’s held open.”

The post Georges St-Pierre Updates Health Status, Fighting Future appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Georges St-Pierre Details Why Tyron Woodley Isn’t Welterweight G.O.A.T.

MMA legend Georges St-Pierre acknowledges that current UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is one of the best ever. But pump your brakes on crowning him the greatest of all-time just yet. Woodley toppled formerly undefeated challenger Darren Till with a dominant second-round submission in the featured bout of September 8’s UFC 228. Till landed only […]

The post Georges St-Pierre Details Why Tyron Woodley Isn’t Welterweight G.O.A.T. appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

MMA legend Georges St-Pierre acknowledges that current UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is one of the best ever. But pump your brakes on crowning him the greatest of all-time just yet.

Woodley toppled formerly undefeated challenger Darren Till with a dominant second-round submission in the featured bout of September 8’s UFC 228. Till landed only one strike in the fight.

The victory lead to Woodley’s coach Din Thomas awarding him his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt for first UFC submission. It also lead to Thomas claiming Woodley was close to attaining welterweight G.O.A.T. status. Not so fast, however, says the consensus current 170-pound G.O.A.T.

Longtime former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre spoke in an interview with FanSided to give his opinion on the feverishly-discussed debate. St-Pierre gave respect to Woodley for beating Till, but stopped short of crowning him the greatest 170 pounds had ever seen:

“The greatest is hard to say; there is also another guy named Matt Hughes who at one point was one of the greatest,” St-Pierre said. “There are some fighters, I’m not saying Tyron Woodley is one of these guys; he is an incredible fighter, but there are guys in this sport sometimes they become champion and they have an easier time than others in terms of opponent, in terms of challenges.”

Strength Of Opponents

St-Pierre defended his title nine times to Woodley’s three and one retention due to a draw.

So Woodley is one of the best ever at welterweight, but his overall body of work still pales in comparison to that of “GSP.” St-Pierre appeared to throw some shade at Woodley’s challenges in the previous quote, yet clarified that by respecting ‘The Chosen One’s’ opponents shortly after.

St-Pierre believes Woodley is in a good spot in terms of legacy because of it:

“Tyron had to go through great fighters like Stephen Thompson and his last performance was outstanding against Darren Till. There was a lot of hype on Darren Till because he was undefeated. Tyron just shut him down incredibly good. Tyron is in a good way in terms of legacy and in terms of being the greatest.”

There is a conceivable way to find out just whom is the best welterweight of all-time, and that’s for them to fight.

However, ‘Rush’ recently discussed why he doesn’t want to fight Woodley right now. He believes he stands little to gain in terms of legacy and popularity, while Woodley stands to gain everything in both. That could be true from a certain point of view.

St-Pierre has been out of action since he won the UFC middleweight title by submitting Michael Bisping in the main event of last November’s UFC 217 from Madison Square Garden. He vacated the title shortly thereafter and has been linked to a new comeback fight. There are whispers he’ll face the winner of October 6’s Khabib Nurmagomeov vs. Conor McGregor lightweight title bout.

Nothing is official, of course, and St-Pierre’s return is beyond up in the air. Just don’t count on it being against Woodley.

The post Georges St-Pierre Details Why Tyron Woodley Isn’t Welterweight G.O.A.T. appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Cody Garbrandt ‘Detaches’ Social Media Accounts After Loss At UFC 227

Former bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt ‘detaches’ social media accounts after KO loss to T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 227. Garbrandt ran rough shot through the bantamweight division. He was a perfect 10-0 heading into his first title defense against Dillashaw at UFC 217. When Dillashaw KO’ed Garbrandt that night it was a career-defining moment for the Ohio […]

The post Cody Garbrandt ‘Detaches’ Social Media Accounts After Loss At UFC 227 appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Former bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt ‘detaches’ social media accounts after KO loss to T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 227.

Garbrandt ran rough shot through the bantamweight division. He was a perfect 10-0 heading into his first title defense against Dillashaw at UFC 217. When Dillashaw KO’ed Garbrandt that night it was a career-defining moment for the Ohio native. Heading into their rematch at UFC 227 Garbrandt was certain he had fixed the holes in his game and was eager to prove it.

“I learned a lot – that God puts you through these kinds of things to grow as a human and grow as a fighter,” Garbrandt told UFC.com leading into UFC 227. “I felt grateful for the life experience and things I had from the November fight in Madison Square Garden.”

Unfourtently Garbrandt was unable to defeat his nemesis in their rematch. For the second straight time, Garbrandt would be unable to make it out of the first round against Dillashaw. However, Garbrandt, who had handled the first defeat with poise, is going about this second defeat much different.

Brett Okamoto of ESPN recently reported that Garbrandt informed him that he had deactivated his social media accounts so he could ‘detach’ and ‘get back to the zone’.

View Brett Okamoto’s tweet here:

Garbrandt has already shown incredible resiliency in his short career. The 27-year-old has already rebounded from a very public fight build up that left him without his strap. That being said, it remains to be seen if “No Love” can muster up another run to the top of the bantamweight division.

The post Cody Garbrandt ‘Detaches’ Social Media Accounts After Loss At UFC 227 appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Conor McGregor’s Bus Attack Still Has Rose Namajunas Traumatized

Rose Namajunas still can’t go out in public because of Conor McGregor’s Brooklyn attack.

The post Conor McGregor’s Bus Attack Still Has Rose Namajunas Traumatized appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Conor McGregor may be returning at October’s UFC 229, but the effects of his April Brooklyn bus attack that left Rose Namajunas traumatized still resonate.

The UFC women’s strawweight champion almost didn’t participate in her rematch with former champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 223. ‘Thug’ Rose was in the bus that McGregor attacked with a metal dolly and saw the chaos firsthand.

“The Notorious” was aiming for his current rival Khabib Nurmagomedov, yet he ended up spraying broken glass onto other fighters. Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa were unable to fight due to injuries sustained.  Namajunas, however, may have been left with most lasting damage. The 115-pound champion reportedly suffered some severe anxiety.

That hasn’t subsided, unfortunately. Namajunas’ coach Trevor Wittman recently revealed on “Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show” that the champion still has trouble going outside:

“She doesn’t leave her house. It’s still there. She doesn’t go in public places. When you’re in a public place and there’s people everywhere, you’re going to be like ‘Oh my god, what could happen?’ Like if you’re involved in a 9/11 bombing, it’s gonna be hard to be in a city scenario. Every time you get in an elevator you’re gonna think of it.”

Wittman also called the UFC’s usage of the attack footage as promotional material as poor taste. There’s no doubt it will help sell the massive lightweight title fight between McGregor and Nurmagomedov at October 6’s UFC 229, but the fight was going to sell and sell big anyway.

Namajunas’ coach thinks it’s simply not classy to use others’ emotional trauma to sell fights. In today’s money-focused UFC era, that obviously doesn’t matter.

Namajunas was able to overcome her fears and defend her title against Jedrzjczyk at UFC 223. Her problems appear to be lingering on far past that due to the sheer veracity of the attack.

The UFC women’s 115-pound champ does not have a fight scheduled as of this writing. If she’s unable to go out in public for the time being, it could be some time before we see her again.

The post Conor McGregor’s Bus Attack Still Has Rose Namajunas Traumatized appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Pic: Is Georges St-Pierre Cutting Down To Lightweight?

Is Georges St-Pierre already making his way down to lightweight?

The post Pic: Is Georges St-Pierre Cutting Down To Lightweight? appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Some evidence has arisen that may support George St-Pierre cutting down to lightweight.

The former UFC middleweight and welterweight champion has often teased a high-profile bout with the winner of UFC 229’s Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Conor McGregor. UFC President Dana White insists he’s not interested in it, but the dollar signs may be too hard to pass up.

St-Pierre has been out of action since he submitted Michael Bisping at last November’s UFC 217 from New York. He won the middleweight title but vacated it soon thereafter. “GSP” cited a bout with colitis due to the increased food intake he required to compete at 185 pounds. He’s since discussed returning at lightweight to win an unprecedented third belt, but nothing is confirmed.

Some evidence suggesting that may be true recently arose, however. St-Pierre posted a picture on Instagram of him looking decidedly smaller than the last time we saw him. Check it out:

Recovery time in Russian Spa in Brooklyn with @82spaniard!

A post shared by Georges St-Pierre (@georgesstpierre) on

St-Pierre simply looks like he’s lost a lot of weight since he last fought. Some of that could be because of his stomach ailment, yet he’s said he only wants to fight in only the biggest fights in order to make it worthwhile.

A fight with the winner of Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor is the obviously the biggest he could hope to book. It would tie up the UFC lightweight division even more after it only got back on track somewhat when Khabib won the vacated title at April’s UFC 223.

But in this era of money-focused super fights, there’s not much to support the theory that Endeavor would pass this up. And you know, Dana White said it wasn’t happening.

Stay tuned.

The post Pic: Is Georges St-Pierre Cutting Down To Lightweight? appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Georges St-Pierre Weighs In On UFC’s GOAT Debate

One of the best welterweight fighters of all time George St.Pierre doesn’t think he is MMA’s GOAT.

The post Georges St-Pierre Weighs In On UFC’s GOAT Debate appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

There are only a handful of fighters in MMA that legitimately have a stake at the GOAT claim. It’s time Georges St-Pierre weighs in on the endless debate.

St-Pierre (26-2) is a two-time welterweight champion and recently came out of retirement, moved up in weight, and captured the middleweight title from Michael Bisping at 2017’s UFC 217.

“Rush” previously walked away from MMA after his victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in 2013. Leaving fans scratching their heads as to why one of the greatest fighters of all time would step away at his zenith.

St-Pierre’s accomplishments certainly bolster his claim to the GOAT conversation, but don’t tell him that.

“I don’t really consider myself the greatest in my era. It’s a subject I can debate for a long time,” said St-Pierre during a recent press conference in Australia via Submission Radio.

The always-modest GSP believes there is no such thing as the greatest of all-time. He also thinks the term “baddest man on the planet” is a mere illusion.

“There is no baddest man on the planet. Nobody is invincible, and even though you are the champion, it doesn’t mean that there is not another man on the planet that couldn’t beat you at that particular day, at that particular time, at that particular moment,” he said. “I became world champion at a certain moment, particular time and location.”

Watch St-Pierre’s interview here courtesy of Submission Radio:

The post Georges St-Pierre Weighs In On UFC’s GOAT Debate appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.