Middleweight Fighter Steps In On Six Days To Save UFC Sao Paulo Light Heavyweight Main Event

UFC Sao Paul has a new main event just six days out.

The post Middleweight Fighter Steps In On Six Days To Save UFC Sao Paulo Light Heavyweight Main Event appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

UFC Fight Night Sal Paulo has had yet another shakeup to the main event. “Ya Boy” Eryk Anders will step in on just six days notice to face Thiago Santos as Jimmie Manuwa was forced out due to injury.

The 31-year-old Anders is just three weeks removed from his brutal knock out win over Tim Williams at UFC Lincoln. Anders sports a record of 11-1. His only loss was a close five-round decision to Lyoto Machida. Coincidentally, that loss to Machida happened in February of this year in Belem, Brazil. Anders now returns to Brazil looking for redemption.

Santos, 34, has won five out of his last six fights. His only blemish in that stretch came at the hands of David Branch. He most recently defeated Kevin Holland via decision at UFC 227 in August. Since 2015 Santos has gone 9-3 in the UFC with seven knock out wins.

UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo has had to deal with the injury bug. Fights like Neil Magny vs. Alex Oliveira, Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Elias Theodorou and Ketlen Vieira vs. Tonya Evinger were all scrapped or rebooked do to injuries. However, the show must go on.

Here is a look at the updated fight card:

Thiago Santos vs. Eryk Anders
Alex Oliveira vs. Carlo Pedersoli
Sam Alvey vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Renan Barao vs. Andre Ewell
Randa Markos vs. Marina Rodriguez
Christos Giagos vs. Charles Oliveira
Evan Dunham vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Luis Henrique vs. Ryan Spann
Chase Sherman vs. Augusto Sakai
Sergio Moraes vs. Ben Saunders
Gillian Robertson vs. Marya Bueno Silva
Hector Lombard vs. Thales Leites
Elizeu Zaleski vs. Luigi Vendramini
Alex Chambers vs. Livia Renata Souza

The post Middleweight Fighter Steps In On Six Days To Save UFC Sao Paulo Light Heavyweight Main Event appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Urijah Faber Reveals Why Cody Garbrandt Has Stayed Quiet Since UFC 227 Loss

Faber has sounded off on the former UFC champ.

The post Urijah Faber Reveals Why Cody Garbrandt Has Stayed Quiet Since UFC 227 Loss appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Urijah Faber reveals why former UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt has been quiet since his last fight that saw him lose.

UFC bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw scored a first round KO victory over Garbrandt in the main event of the UFC 227 pay-per-view event at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. The finish of the fight at UFC 227 saw Dillashaw land ferocious flurry in the first round following dropping Garbrandt at first with a right hook.

If you recall, their first fight went down at the UFC 217 pay-per-view event at Madison Square Garden in New York City in November of 2017 where Dillashaw finished Garbrandt to win back the bantamweight title.

When Garbrandt won the bantamweight title at UFC 207, it set up a rivalry fight for one of the hottest feuds in MMA over the past couple of years, and the two fighters had been jawing at each other publicly since Dillashaw left Alpha Male. However, this feud has been put on ice for the time being.

Faber recently revealed the reason that Garbrandt has stayed quiet since his last fight, which is due to him being a family man right now as well as stay away from the negativity.

“Cody is enjoying being a family man right now,” Faber told MMA Fighting in an interview on Monday. “He was in the gym the other day and he was in good spirits. I know he’s been working out still.”

“This is a mean world, and everyone likes to jump in and kick people when they’re down,” said Faber, who was in town for a media day promoting the Oct. 5 Quintet grappling event. “Cody is someone who wears his heart on his sleeve, there’s no pretenses with him. I don’t know if that has something to do with it, if it was negativity he was paying attention to.”

“I spent some time with Cody directly after the fight,” Faber said. “And I wasn’t necessarily the one that was in the corner for him for that fight, I’ve got some great perspectives for him, I said I’ve been in this a real long time I’ve got some good perspective for you, so, he seems open to that, we’re going to have a conversation about his path forward yet but it just hasn’t happened yet.”

“Cody’s doing really well, he sent me an incredible video of his baby watching TV and he’s in good spirits,” Faber said. “He’s 27 years old and he had a moment where he needs to figure out, what’s my motivation, what’s my dedication, and that’s that.“

The post Urijah Faber Reveals Why Cody Garbrandt Has Stayed Quiet Since UFC 227 Loss appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Cody Garbrandt ‘Detaches’ Social Media Accounts After Loss At UFC 227

Former bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt ‘detaches’ social media accounts after KO loss to T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 227. Garbrandt ran rough shot through the bantamweight division. He was a perfect 10-0 heading into his first title defense against Dillashaw at UFC 217. When Dillashaw KO’ed Garbrandt that night it was a career-defining moment for the Ohio […]

The post Cody Garbrandt ‘Detaches’ Social Media Accounts After Loss At UFC 227 appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Former bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt ‘detaches’ social media accounts after KO loss to T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 227.

Garbrandt ran rough shot through the bantamweight division. He was a perfect 10-0 heading into his first title defense against Dillashaw at UFC 217. When Dillashaw KO’ed Garbrandt that night it was a career-defining moment for the Ohio native. Heading into their rematch at UFC 227 Garbrandt was certain he had fixed the holes in his game and was eager to prove it.

“I learned a lot – that God puts you through these kinds of things to grow as a human and grow as a fighter,” Garbrandt told UFC.com leading into UFC 227. “I felt grateful for the life experience and things I had from the November fight in Madison Square Garden.”

Unfourtently Garbrandt was unable to defeat his nemesis in their rematch. For the second straight time, Garbrandt would be unable to make it out of the first round against Dillashaw. However, Garbrandt, who had handled the first defeat with poise, is going about this second defeat much different.

Brett Okamoto of ESPN recently reported that Garbrandt informed him that he had deactivated his social media accounts so he could ‘detach’ and ‘get back to the zone’.

View Brett Okamoto’s tweet here:

Garbrandt has already shown incredible resiliency in his short career. The 27-year-old has already rebounded from a very public fight build up that left him without his strap. That being said, it remains to be seen if “No Love” can muster up another run to the top of the bantamweight division.

The post Cody Garbrandt ‘Detaches’ Social Media Accounts After Loss At UFC 227 appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Nicco Montano Was Inspired By Henry Cejudo’s Upset Win At UFC 227

Can Nicco Montano silence her doubters this weekend?

The post Nicco Montano Was Inspired By Henry Cejudo’s Upset Win At UFC 227 appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Last month (Sat. August 4, 2018) at UFC 227 one of the biggest upsets in the history of the sport went down.

Henry Cejudo defeated Demetrious Johnson in the co-main event to become the second-ever UFC flyweight champion. It was a moment that shocked a lot of mixed martial arts (MMA) fans, but also inspired fellow fighters.

UFC women’s flyweight champion Nicco Montano explained how she drew inspiration off Cejudo’s big moment (quotes via MMA Fighting):

“Absolutely, as I said, it’s not about labels; it’s about heart and will and sacrifices and I’ve made them all,” Montano said.

“It’s not going to me at the end of the fight to see that we’ve been through a battle and then see what the outcome is.”

“Definitely seeing Cejudo, I was there for that fight up close and personal, and you could just see the pace and you could see how much both of those fighters were willing to put in that cage.

“That was a spectacular fight and Cejudo came out victorious. And he was the underdog, so that’s definitely something that’s in my head now.”

Montano could use some inspiration right about now. She’ll be defending her flyweight title this weekend at the UFC 228 pay-per-view (PPV). Montano will be defending against former women’s bantamweight title challenger Valentina Shevchenko.

Many are writing off this fight as a guaranteed win for “The Bullet.” She has shared the Octagon with some of the most fierce competitors in the world, and did more than hold her own.

With victories over the likes of Holly Holm and Julianna Pena under her belt, Shevchenko will certainly be a big test for the 4-2 Montano.

The post Nicco Montano Was Inspired By Henry Cejudo’s Upset Win At UFC 227 appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Volkan Oezdemir Destroyed Anthony Smith’s UFC Sao Paulo Suggestion

Volkan Oezdemir has “No Time” for Anthony Smith’s other plans.

The post Volkan Oezdemir Destroyed Anthony Smith’s UFC Sao Paulo Suggestion appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Volkan Oezdemir destroyed Anthony Smith’s offer to fill in for Glover Teixeira.

Teixeira was ruled out of his UFC Sao Paulo headliner with Jimi Nanuwa last night. He could require surgery due to a shoulder injury. The former title contender is out for an indefinite amount of time as a result.

Streaking contender Anthony Smith soon offered to fill in for Teixeira and face Manuwa:

No. 2 LHW Volkan Oezdemir took offense to the suggestion because of the fact he’s supposed to fight “Lionheart” in the main event of October’s UFC Moncton.

“No Time” took to social media to voice his displeasure. The former title contender put it in simple terms as well:

UFC Sao Paulo will take place on September 22, 2018. The UFC is currently looking for a replacement opponent to fight Manuwa. The British slugger reportedly already turned down a fight with Brazilian middleweight Thiago Santos.

Oezdemir will meet Smith in the main event of UFC Moncton slightly over a month later on October 27, 2018. Oezdemir has been out of action since he lost a title bid to current champion Daniel Cormier at UFC 220 this January. A broken nose forced him out of a scheduled fight with top contender Alexander Gustafsson at August 4’s UFC 227.

Meanwhile, Smith has been on a tear, knocking out former champions Rashad Evans and Shogun Rua in his last two fights.

The post Volkan Oezdemir Destroyed Anthony Smith’s UFC Sao Paulo Suggestion appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Demetrious Johnson Suspended Indefinitely Due To Injury

It’s unlikely we see Demetrious Johnson back in the cage this year.

The post Demetrious Johnson Suspended Indefinitely Due To Injury appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

We already saw Demetrious Johnson suspended.

Now, the former UFC flyweight champ is on the sidelines due to a mandate from the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC).

Johnson was defeated for the first time in his 125-pound mixed martial arts (MMA) career at UFC 227 earlier this month. Henry Cejudo made history when he bested “Mighty Mouse” via split decision.

Johnson suffered a string of injuries during the fight. One of those injuries was to his knee. As a result, Johnson will now require medical clearance to be removed from the ABC database which tracks medical suspensions.

Initially, a mandatory minimum suspension of seven days was given to Johnson. Johnson will instead be suspended indefinitely. CSAC executive director Andy Foster told MMA Junkie the news this week.

The former flyweight champ said he injured his lateral collateral ligament (LCL) and broke his foot in the loss to Cejudo. Johnson did tear his LCL but did not break his foot.

Johnson had this to say about his injuries in a recent interview on “Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show”:

“Typically (a) Grade 3 (tear), you need surgery,” Johnson said. “Grade 2 is six weeks off and rehab. It’s feeling like a Grade 2 because I’ve had a tear in my left LCL before.”

Johnson’s seven-year undefeated streak ended with Cejudo’s defeat. That loss also broke a record title run. Johnson clearly deserves an immediate title rematch with the Olympic gold medalist due to his record title reign.

Due to Johnson’s injury and Cejudo’s desire for a super fight with TJ Dillashaw, what’s next for “Mighty Mouse” remains to be seen.

The post Demetrious Johnson Suspended Indefinitely Due To Injury appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.