Jon Jones: After hit-and-run, ‘I had a trainer’ that was ‘badmouthing me’

Former UFC champ Jon Jones says after his hit-and-run accident last year, one of his trainers badmouthed him publicly. Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has noted multiple times that, after his hit-and-run accident a year …

Former UFC champ Jon Jones says after his hit-and-run accident last year, one of his trainers badmouthed him publicly.

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has noted multiple times that, after his hit-and-run accident a year ago, he lost many things. That included all of his endorsements, which included a massive deal with Reebok, his UFC light heavyweight championship and his job with the UFC. He also lost respect from people across the world including fans and other fighters.

Jones says that everyone close to him — his family, friends, teammates and trainers — had his back throughout the difficult times. Except for one trainer.

“I had a trainer that I had found out had been badmouthing me in the community and things like that,” Jones revealed to FOX Sports Radio. “That was one of the moments that really hurt me a lot because me and my coaches and business partners we’re really like a family. We do everything together and we’ve come a long way together. So to have a trainer of mine kind of chirp me, that was one of those moments where I was like ‘man.’

But at the same time, you get to see who’s really there for you when you go through situations like that. My closest friends, family, and team, they really rallied around me and we got closer and then you lose a few people along the way and you’ve got to be grateful for the opportunity to see a little more clearly.”

Jones did not confirm the trainer’s name or what area the trainer specialized in. The former titleholder also did not say whether or not he still works with him (although one could imagine that is doubtful).

Jones returns to the cage against Ovince Saint Preux with the interim title on the line in the main event of UFC 197 this Saturday. The event takes place live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

UFC 197 Video: Jon Jones: Don’t make fun of my ‘chicken legs, unless you squat 500 lbs.’

Watch the second episode of UFC 197 Embedded. No one would doubt that the returning UFC superstar Jon Jones is one of the most outstanding prodigies that has ever stepped foot into the Octagon. But the 28-year old pound-for-pound king n…

Watch the second episode of UFC 197 Embedded.

No one would doubt that the returning UFC superstar Jon Jones is one of the most outstanding prodigies that has ever stepped foot into the Octagon. But the 28-year old pound-for-pound king never had the typical chiseled athlete look that some of his fellow colleagues possess. He never needed it. In fact, his long and slim limbs were always a huge part of his unorthodox fighting style, that fighters seemingly couldn’t cope with.

However, during the 15 months he spent on the sidelines, away from active competition, the former light-heavyweight champion has put himself through some serious weight training, deadlifting up to 600 lbs., and has gained an impressive physique in the process.

“He’s put on some muscle for sure in his legs,” his physical therapist approved during the second episode of UFC 197 Embedded. “I tell you what,” Jones followed up in direction of everyone who was ever cracking jokes about his lanky frame. “I deadlift 600 pounds, squat 500 pounds, and I have a 55 – 56 inch box jump. So everyone making fun out there of my chicken legs, don’t tell me anything unless you squat 500 pounds.”

Jon Jones faces Ovince Saint-Preux in the main event of UFC 197 this Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV.

Conor McGregor’s Window for UFC 200 U-Turn Closing Fast, Says Dana White

UFC boss Dana White has backtracked on suggestions Conor McGregor could still feature at UFC 200, saying the chances of him being involved are now very slim.
As documented by Andre Vergara of Fox Sports, White spoke on Wednesday to Colin Cowherd on&nbs…

UFC boss Dana White has backtracked on suggestions Conor McGregor could still feature at UFC 200, saying the chances of him being involved are now very slim.

As documented by Andre Vergara of Fox Sports, White spoke on Wednesday to Colin Cowherd on The Herd, and when asked about the Notorious—who announced his retirement earlier this week on social media—being involved in the July showpiece, he said, “Yeah if he called me after this interview, we’d probably still do it.” 

However, just hours later, he seemed to have changed his tune. “The window is pretty much closed,” he told UFC Tonight, per Vergara.

McGregor’s decision to retire from the sport came as a bolt from the blue, as the Irishman was scheduled to face Nate Diaz in the main event of UFC 200—anticipated to be the biggest show in the company’s history.

The Irishman suffered a shock loss to Diaz at UFC 196 in his welterweight debut and was seeking to avenge the defeat with another 170-pound tussle. McGregor’s post was expected to be a hoax at first, although as stories began to surface, it became clear there is definite veracity to the claims made.

As reported by MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, it seems as though the UFC are intent on pressing on in their build-up to event without McGregor:

White has also revealed McGregor cannot simply decide he’s retired and then make an immediate return to the sport either, citing procedures in line with USADA’s anti-doping process while on UFC Tonight.

“If [McGregor] is truly retired, he would have to take four months off before, it would take you four months to come back, because of USADA,” he told the program, per Dave Doyle of MMA Fighting. “You can’t just say, now that you have random drug testing, after however long you’re out, just say ‘okay, now I’m back’.“

It’s a fascinating situation, but one White and the UFC could definitely do without. With the press tour for UFC 200 beginning on Friday, the company has no main event for what was expected to be the marquee night of MMA in 2016.

Diaz is without an opponent at this juncture, while the tussle between Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar, set to be a fascinating clash, is not high-profile enough to headline the event. The same applies for Miesha Tate’s defence of her bantamweight title against Amanda Nunes.

MMA Journalist Alan Murphy summed up how the UFC must be feeling having had their plans plunged into crisis:

Many expect McGregor to end up taking to the Octagon in July eventually, although White’s U-turn over such a short space of time will cast aspersions on that view. While UFC 200 is still a few months away, the boss will be keen to get preparations rolling in earnest and reading between the lines, his patience looks as though it may have run out.

It’s unclear quite why McGregor has taken this decision. He’s a competitor who, despite his bravado and obvious love of material things, has always relished a challenge and was keen to give the fans what they wanted. Sadly, many followers of the sport will be left very disappointed should he follow through with this retirement in earnest. 

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Conor McGregor’s Window for UFC 200 U-Turn Closing Fast, Says Dana White

UFC boss Dana White has backtracked on suggestions Conor McGregor could still feature at UFC 200, saying the chances of him being involved are now very slim.
As documented by Andre Vergara of Fox Sports, White spoke on Wednesday to Colin Cowherd on&nbs…

UFC boss Dana White has backtracked on suggestions Conor McGregor could still feature at UFC 200, saying the chances of him being involved are now very slim.

As documented by Andre Vergara of Fox Sports, White spoke on Wednesday to Colin Cowherd on The Herd, and when asked about the Notorious—who announced his retirement earlier this week on social media—being involved in the July showpiece, he said, “Yeah if he called me after this interview, we’d probably still do it.” 

However, just hours later, he seemed to have changed his tune. “The window is pretty much closed,” he told UFC Tonight, per Vergara.

McGregor’s decision to retire from the sport came as a bolt from the blue, as the Irishman was scheduled to face Nate Diaz in the main event of UFC 200—anticipated to be the biggest show in the company’s history.

The Irishman suffered a shock loss to Diaz at UFC 196 in his welterweight debut and was seeking to avenge the defeat with another 170-pound tussle. McGregor’s post was expected to be a hoax at first, although as stories began to surface, it became clear there is definite veracity to the claims made.

As reported by MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, it seems as though the UFC are intent on pressing on in their build-up to event without McGregor:

White has also revealed McGregor cannot simply decide he’s retired and then make an immediate return to the sport either, citing procedures in line with USADA’s anti-doping process while on UFC Tonight.

“If [McGregor] is truly retired, he would have to take four months off before, it would take you four months to come back, because of USADA,” he told the program, per Dave Doyle of MMA Fighting. “You can’t just say, now that you have random drug testing, after however long you’re out, just say ‘okay, now I’m back’.“

It’s a fascinating situation, but one White and the UFC could definitely do without. With the press tour for UFC 200 beginning on Friday, the company has no main event for what was expected to be the marquee night of MMA in 2016.

Diaz is without an opponent at this juncture, while the tussle between Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar, set to be a fascinating clash, is not high-profile enough to headline the event. The same applies for Miesha Tate’s defence of her bantamweight title against Amanda Nunes.

MMA Journalist Alan Murphy summed up how the UFC must be feeling having had their plans plunged into crisis:

Many expect McGregor to end up taking to the Octagon in July eventually, although White’s U-turn over such a short space of time will cast aspersions on that view. While UFC 200 is still a few months away, the boss will be keen to get preparations rolling in earnest and reading between the lines, his patience looks as though it may have run out.

It’s unclear quite why McGregor has taken this decision. He’s a competitor who, despite his bravado and obvious love of material things, has always relished a challenge and was keen to give the fans what they wanted. Sadly, many followers of the sport will be left very disappointed should he follow through with this retirement in earnest. 

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

Bellator 156: Brandon Halsey Vs. John Salter

Brandon Halsey will continue to fight in order to regain his middleweight title when he faces current champion John Salter at Bellator fight night 156. The fight was declared via a press release much to the excitement of mixed martial arts fans all across the country. Bellator fight night 156 is scheduled to take place […]

Brandon Halsey will continue to fight in order to regain his middleweight title when he faces current champion John Salter at Bellator fight night 156. The fight was declared via a press release much to the excitement of mixed martial arts fans all across the country. Bellator fight night 156 is scheduled to take place on the 17th of June and will happen at Save Mart Center in Fresno, California. The prelims will air on MMAJunkie and will be succeeded by the main card that will be telecasted on Spike.

Halsey has an impressive record both in MMA and BMAA, 9-1 and 7-1 respectively. Halsey in fact never lost his title by losing in a fight. He lost it simply because he could not make the weight division during a weigh in before a fight that was to happen against Kendall Grove on Bellator fight night 137. Halsey’s first career loss came against Rafael Carvalho courtesy of a well landed body kick by Carvalho in the second round of their fight in Bellator fight night 144.

Salter on the other hand is running high on confidence and has known nothing but winning ways for the past three fights. Salter is an experienced fighter and will be looking to get the upper hand over Halsey by sticking it out and tiring Halsey out before making his insidious moves. Salter is both a UFC and Strikeforce veteran and he only made his Bellator debut in his very last fight.

In his previous fight, Salter impressed highly when he executed a near perfect rear – naked choke hold on Dustin Jacoby during Bellator fight night 132 in the second round of their fight. However, Salter has been out of the sport since January of 2015 and this may not play out in his favor considering he has not been in the octagon in a competitive fight in over a year now.

This is going to be a tough one to predict, no fighter really has the edge over the other but they both have a lot to lose.

Jon Jones Sweating It Out At The Gym While Saint Preux Doing Construction Work

UFC fight night 197 is going to be big for one reason especially – the return of the one and only Jon Jones. Jones has been out of it since April last year making his come back on fight night 197 almost exactly one year later. The fight is scheduled to happen in MGM Grand […]

UFC fight night 197 is going to be big for one reason especially – the return of the one and only Jon Jones. Jones has been out of it since April last year making his come back on fight night 197 almost exactly one year later. The fight is scheduled to happen in MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and will be telecasted on a pay per view basis on FOX sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Jones’ record is stunning, he has twenty one wins to his name and just one loss. In fact, the loss was actually a disqualification wherein Jones supposedly landed illegal elbows on his opponent when he was on a top position. Jones was out of the sport for one year because of a one year suspension for being involved in a hit and run case in April of 2015. The ex light heavy weight champion will be facing     Ovince Saint Preux who has a record of nineteen wins and 7 losses in the UFC.

Originally, Jones was scheduled to face his past nemesis Daniel Cormier but Cormier is out due to an injury and Jones was not very pleased to find this out. When asked in an interview what he thought about Cormier’s injury, Jones said that he felt Cormier was just a little hurt and not injured. Jones felt that Cormier was faking it because he knew he would lose if he was put up against Jones again. Jones added that as an elite athlete, his body was full of little nooks and crooks but he fight through it and so should Cormier.

The online series promoting the event aired an episode where Jones was shown working hard at the gym while his opponent Ovince Saint Preux was indulging in some hard construction work.

Even though it is the headline fight of UFC fight night 197, many people have already written it off as a win for Jones, however, experts say not to take Preux for granted considering that Jones has been out for a whole year. We may be in for a shock result.