Cejudo Willingly Sacrificed Money To Fight Dillashaw

Henry Cejudo’s head coach revealed prior to “The Messenger’s” title fight against Demetrious Johnson at UFC 227 that the Olympic gold medalist took a pay cut to face “Mighty Mouse.”
Now, Henry says he once again sacrificed some cash to fa…

Henry Cejudo’s head coach revealed prior to “The Messenger’s” title fight against Demetrious Johnson at UFC 227 that the Olympic gold medalist took a pay cut to face “Mighty Mouse.”

Now, Henry says he once again sacrificed some cash to face TJ Dillashaw at the upcoming UFC on ESPN+ 1 event on Saturday night (Jan. 19, 2019) in Brooklyn, N.Y., seeing as how he could’ve earned a bit more if the fight was on pay-per-view (PPV). Cejudo didn’t mind, though, as he says he did it for the sake of the Flyweight division.

Plus headlining the first-ever UFC on ESPN fight card was an added bonus.

“Look at the opportunity they gave me,” Cejudo said during a recent media scrum via MMA Junkie. “It’s a Cinderella story. I beat this guy, resurrect the flyweight division, and that’s all there is to it. I’m willing to sacrifice some of my money for the sake of others. After this fight, let it be known I’m a prizefighter. So Uncle Dana and everybody is going to have to cough up, because I ain’t fighting for free,” he added.

“I’m not here just for a victory for myself and to add to my legacy, but also to all the 125 pounders who are someday looking to become a world champ in the UFC,” Cejudo said. “This is much bigger than me.”

Should Cejudo retain his flyweight title with a win over TJ, he wants to make sure he can lock down another title fight with “Viper,” this time for his Bantamweight strap. But make no mistake, he wants to get paid next time around.

“Once I beat him, we’ll talk to Uncle Dana. I feel like once I beat T.J. Dillashaw, it’s like the champ can’t defend his title unless he fights the other champ that beat him. That’s going to be a negotiation stop with the UFC. At the end of the day I’m a prizefighter. I’m looking to get paid whether I fight at ’25 or ’35.”

The narrative — one Dana White has sort of been hinting at — is that the 125-pound weight class will stay put should Cejudo win. If TJ wins, then most seem to think that’s all she wrote for flyweights competing inside the Octagon.

To see the most up-to-date UFC on ESPN+ 1: “Cejudo vs Dillashaw” fight card click here. And to subscribe to ESPN+ 1 click here.

Khabib Details Why Conor Doesn’t Deserve Rematch

Khabib Nurmagomedov doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to give Conor McGregor a rematch for his lightweight title. Nurmagomedov was asked about a rematch with McGregor during a media scrum in Australia. Here is what “The Eagle” said (via TMZ Sports): “Rematch for what? … Before last fight he talked too,” Nurmagomedov said. “But […]

The post Khabib Details Why Conor Doesn’t Deserve Rematch appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Khabib Nurmagomedov doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to give Conor McGregor a rematch for his lightweight title.

Nurmagomedov was asked about a rematch with McGregor during a media scrum in Australia. Here is what “The Eagle” said (via TMZ Sports):

“Rematch for what? … Before last fight he talked too,” Nurmagomedov said. “But when we go inside the cage he don’t do nothing.”

Khabib had his way with McGregor in their record-setting fight at UFC 229 last October. The Dagestani ran rough shot through the Irishman en route to his fourth-round submission of McGregor.

Still, for all the talk of Khabib seemingly wanting no part of a rematch with Conor, that may not be what’s best for business. Their first meeting let to a UFC-record 2.4 million pay-per-view buys and the second-highest gate of $17.2 million.

That is most likely why Dana White told TMZ Sports earlier this month that a second fight between the two superstars “should” take place in 2019.

The post Khabib Details Why Conor Doesn’t Deserve Rematch appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Leon Edwards vs. Gunnar Nelson Set For UFC London Co-Headliner

Lean Edwards and Gunnar Nelson will co-headline UFC Fight Night London when the Octagon returns to the United Kingdom. UFC on ESPN+ 5 on March 16 will mark the return to the O2 Arena in London, England. Matchmakers have already been hard at work assembling one heck of a card. With news breaking earlier today […]

The post Leon Edwards vs. Gunnar Nelson Set For UFC London Co-Headliner appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Lean Edwards and Gunnar Nelson will co-headline UFC Fight Night London when the Octagon returns to the United Kingdom.

UFC on ESPN+ 5 on March 16 will mark the return to the O2 Arena in London, England. Matchmakers have already been hard at work assembling one heck of a card. With news breaking earlier today of a Darren Till vs. Jorge Masvidal main event, UK fans are in for a treat.

A welterweight bout between Leon Edwards and Gunnar Nelson will serve as the co-main event. Brett Okamoto of ESPN was the first to share the news:

Edwards is riding a six-fight winning streak that dates back to June of 2016. He most recently defeated Donald Cerrone via unanimous decision at UFC Fight Night 132 in July.

Nelson recently bounced back from a disappointing loss to Santiago Ponzinibbio with a win over Alex Oliveira at UFC 231. The victory was called one of the most gruesome bouts of 2018, and for good reason.

The post Leon Edwards vs. Gunnar Nelson Set For UFC London Co-Headliner appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Justin Gaethje vs. Edson Barboza In The Works For UFC Philly

A barn burner between Justin Gaethje and Edson Barboza might be part of an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) card in Philadelphia. There was some confusion over the initial reporting of the match-up. MMAJunkie initially reported Gaethje vs. Barboza …

A barn burner between Justin Gaethje and Edson Barboza might be part of an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) card in Philadelphia. There was some confusion over the initial reporting of the match-up. MMAJunkie initially reported Gaethje vs. Barboza as being targeted for UFC Nashville. Gaethje’s manager Ali Abdelaziz denied it. ESPN’s Brett Okamoto later reported […]

The post Justin Gaethje vs. Edson Barboza In The Works For UFC Philly appeared first on MMA News.

Aldo: 2019 Is My Last Year With Small Gloves

One of the greatest fighters in the history of mixed marital arts (MMA) will call it a career at the end of 2019 (no not that one), as former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Featherweight champion Jose Aldo says he storied career will…

One of the greatest fighters in the history of mixed marital arts (MMA) will call it a career at the end of 2019 (no not that one), as former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Featherweight champion Jose Aldo says he storied career will come to an end at the conclusion of the year.

“Exactly,” Aldo said. “With the small black gloves, yes. This will be the last year,” he said during a recent media scrum in Brazil via MMA Junkie. Confirming he only has three fights remaining on his current deal, “Junior” says leaving with his full health intact has always been the goal.

And if he has any say in the matter, his final fights will take place in Brazil.

“I want to close out my career in Brazil,” Aldo said. “That’s what we planned with ‘Dede.’ I intend to fight in, May, too, and then close it out in the second semester, because I know there will be another event in Brazil. And (the UFC) already knows that.”

Hello boxing?

While another title run likely isn’t in the cards, Jose says he will still give it his all come fight night, and it would be in the best interest for his foes to take him serious.

“So there’s no reason to aim for a title fight. But you can be sure, I’ll be a problem for anyone who gets in front of me. Because I will win these three fights, you can be sure.”

”I want to end it well, and I want to be healthy, as well. One thing I said in my last fight is that I want to stop tomorrow and not give my money to buy my heath back. Today I give my health to make money. So I don’t want to do that. I want to enjoy my daughter growing up, my family, my wife, to be able to travel, to be able to smile a little and play, without fighting until I’m 40,” he added.

After taking out Jeremy Stephens in his last outing, Aldo will look for back-to-back wins when he faces off agaisnt fellow countrymen Renato Moicano at UFC on ESPN+ 2, which is scheduled to go down on February 2, 2019 inside Centro de Formacao Olimpica do Nordeste in Fortaleza, Brazil.

Dana White recently revealed Aldo turned down the chance to headline the event, citing his preference to fight in a three-round bout. And while Jose would be down to fight as many rounds as possible, “Junior” says it’s his training staff who felt it wasn’t in his best interest given his retirement plans.

“(Pederneiras) is the one who closed the fight like this, with three rounds,” Aldo said in his native Portuguese. “He thought it was best. For me, it’s all the same, fighting five, 10, however many rounds are needed, I’ll fight. Against Moicano or anyone else. I have no problem there. I train for this. It’s what I do, every day. I train, and I always want to go in there and do my best.”

Head coach Andre Pederneiras confirmed the sentiment, saying its up to him to look from the outside in and decide whats better for his athlete, and had it been up to Jose, he would’ve taken the headlining spot for five rounds.

Terence Crawford Meets Amir Khan For Next WBO Title Defense

WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford now has a big title defense coming up. It has been officially announced that Crawford will be defending his belt against former welterweight champion Amir Khan. The fight is slated for April 20th with a location yet to be determined. However, the venue has been narrowed down to either an […]

The post Terence Crawford Meets Amir Khan For Next WBO Title Defense appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford now has a big title defense coming up.

It has been officially announced that Crawford will be defending his belt against former welterweight champion Amir Khan. The fight is slated for April 20th with a location yet to be determined. However, the venue has been narrowed down to either an MGM property in Las Vegas, or New York City’s Madison Square Garden.

Promoter Bob Arum suggested the price for the ESPN pay-per-view (PPV) will likely be $59.95. Crawford, 31, is undefeated in his boxing career thus far. He last defeated José Benavidez Jr. via 12th-round knockout in October. Now, he’ll share the ring with a legend in Khan, who is currently on a two-fight win streak.

The Englishman hasn’t lost since being knocked unconscious by Canelo Alvarez in 2016. With wins over Phil Lo Greco and Samuel Vargas in the past few years, Khan will now once again challenge for welterweight gold. Many fans would prefer to see Crawford unify with fellow welterweight champions like Errol Spence Jr., Keith Thurman, or Shawn Porter.

But each of those men are already booked through March. For now, Crawford will get to test himself against a seasoned veteran in Khan, who, make no mistake, is still very much a threat to the American’s undefeated record.

The post Terence Crawford Meets Amir Khan For Next WBO Title Defense appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.