Video: Badou Jack Accidentally Slugs Referee During Adonis Stevenson Fight

How is this referee still standing?!

The post Video: Badou Jack Accidentally Slugs Referee During Adonis Stevenson Fight appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

The WBC light heavyweight title fight between Badou Jack and Adonis Stevenson ended with a disappointing draw, but there was still plenty of action on Saturday night.

Midway through the 12th round, the  referee attempted to separate the two men from the clinch and ended up eating a massive right hand to the face by Badou on accident.

The referee miraculously remained standing and conscious:

Jack was quite remorseful and apologetic for the errant shot, and the referee powered on in spite of the fact that he just ate a huge punch.

The bout ultimately went to the judges scorecards, who scored it a majority draw, meaning Stevenson retains the WBC light heavyweight belt.

Believe it or not, this actually isn’t the first time Badou Jack has hit a referee mid-fight, clocking referee Arthur McKinney back in a January 2017 fight.

Is this just a heat-of-the-moment reaction on Jack’s part? Or is the boxer too reckless for his own good?

The post Video: Badou Jack Accidentally Slugs Referee During Adonis Stevenson Fight appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Canelo Alvarez Signs Up For Year-Round VADA Drug Testing

Canelo Alvarez just took a big step to prove he’s a clean fighter…

The post Canelo Alvarez Signs Up For Year-Round VADA Drug Testing appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

After a six-month suspension for two failed drug tests and his removal from the WBC rankings, Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez announced a huge commitment to proving he’s a clean fighter.

Alvarez announced on his Twitter account that he had signed up for year-round testing with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA):

Alvarez was recently suspended six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) after testing positive for banned substance Clenbuterol in out-of-competition tests on Feb. 17 and Feb. 21. It was thought there was still a chance for his May 5 rematch with Gennady Golovkin could still take place; however, that possibility shrank when the NSAC issued a formal anti-doping complaint against Alvarez.

Alvarez was then removed from the official WBC middleweight rankings after failing to enroll in their ‘Clean Fighter’ program.

Golovkin has been especially critical of Alvarez’ failures, which he had claimed were from contaminated meat in his native Mexico. Clenbuterol has been found in trace amounts in meat sold in Mexico and China, and multiple UFC fighters South of the Border have failed USADA drug tests that way. But the same wasn’t found for Alvarez, and he’ll now enter year-round voluntary testing to prove he is clean.

If the program proves effective and Alvarez can clear his name, there’s talk the awaited rematch of their controversial 2017 draw will take place on September 15. Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler said he had been in talks with Alvarez’ Golden Boy Promotions via Yahoo! and praised Alvarez’ efforts to prove he was clean as a great step to rescheduling the fight:

“I think it’s the right thing to do, especially for someone who has been proclaiming his innocence,” Loeffler said. “Gennady has been clear that he would have no problem continuing to be tested through the fight in September, and he expected the same from Canelo, so this is a step in the right direction.

“It would have been a requirement [to make the fight], but they never balked at doing it. It was a matter of when it would start. When he said he’d start testing when the contract was signed, that raised a few flags, but really, if he’s being tested now, there are no issues. This was a good step.”

The post Canelo Alvarez Signs Up For Year-Round VADA Drug Testing appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Highlights: Vasyl Lomachenko Stops Jorge Linares With Jaw-Dropping Body Shot

Watch Vasyl Lomachenko pull off an amazing win over Jorge Linares in NYC:

The post Highlights: Vasyl Lomachenko Stops Jorge Linares With Jaw-Dropping Body Shot appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

There were two high-profile title fights in MMA tonight when Amanda Nunes stopped Raquel Pennington in the UFC 224 main event and Ryan Bader ran through King Mo in just 15 seconds at Bellator 199, but WBO featherweight boxing champion Vasyl Lomachenko nearly stole the show himself.

Facing Jorge Linares at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Lomachenko threw down in a back-and-forth bout with his opponent that was close throughout with each fighter having their moments. In the sixth frame, Linares seemingly turned the tide by dropping Lomachenko with a big right hand. The Ukrainian persevered well, however, fighting through the fight-changing punch to drop Linares with a crushing body shot.

He got back up towards the end of the 10-count but was badly hurt and the referee had seen enough as Lomachenko scored a huge comeback TKO. Watch the body shot that ended it for him here:

The post Highlights: Vasyl Lomachenko Stops Jorge Linares With Jaw-Dropping Body Shot appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Rose Namajunas Refuses Conor McGregor’s Online Apology: ‘F**k That’

Rose Namajunas wasn’t about to accept Conor McGregor’s apology on Instagram:

The post Rose Namajunas Refuses Conor McGregor’s Online Apology: ‘F**k That’ appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Many prominent MMA personalities were affected by Conor McGregor’s chaotic Brooklyn outburst two days before April 7’s UFC 223.

The attack, where the former champion threw a metal dolly threw a bus containing rival Khabib Nurmagomedov, left two fighters injured and unable to compete on the event and also forced a third fight off the card when McGregor friend (and accomplice) Artem Lobov was pulled from his scheduled fight with Alex Caceres.

But the incident, which eventually saw McGregor incarcerated for assault charges overnight and awaiting court this June, almost had a far more impactful effect on the event, as UFC women’s strawweight Rose Namajunas was in the bus and visibly shaken by the events, to the point where she even considered not fighting Joanna Jedrzejczyk on the card.

While “Thug” Rose did decide to fight on and beat her rival by unanimous decision, things are still not good between her and McGregor. According to Outside the Cage on Twitter, Namajunas had a seething reply to “The Notorious” when he tried to apologize to her on Instagram, simply saying, “F*** that, call Pat,” in reference to her longtime partner Pat Barry.

Namajunas also addressed the incident during a recent appearance on The Jim & Sam Show (via MMA Mania), noting that the situation is far from ideal because even though she picked up a second victory over a woman who just months ago was talked up as the best female MMA fighter of all-time, she’s only asked about the attack, so that accomplishment will always be overshadowed by what McGregor did:

“It just sucks because that’s the question that’s always gonna be asked. And it’s like, ‘Look what I did.’”

A fair point from “Thug” Rose to be certain because her second consecutive win over a historic women’s champion is undoubtedly being overshadowed by a needless, violent event that not only injured innocent people but forced three fights off of the most anticipated pay-per-view of the year thus far.

The focus will likely always remain on McGregor and his antics from the weekend, however, and it’s hard to look past Namajunas’ desire for her efforts in the cage to be focused on rather than a crime committed by a superstar who has shown he cares about little else than going off the rails in his post-Mayweather period of debauchery.

In that sense, you can see why she isn’t accepting McGregor’s apology.

The post Rose Namajunas Refuses Conor McGregor’s Online Apology: ‘F**k That’ appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Source: Mayweather vs. McGregor In UFC ‘Closer To Happening’

In recent weeks, talk of an over-the-top Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor bout in the UFC octagon has cooled down quite a bit. The rumors were roaring hot at one point after Mayweather posted a video of himself stepping into an MMA cage and teased a “billion dollar” deal with the UFC earlier this year, […]

The post Source: Mayweather vs. McGregor In UFC ‘Closer To Happening’ appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

In recent weeks, talk of an over-the-top Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor bout in the UFC octagon has cooled down quite a bit.

The rumors were roaring hot at one point after Mayweather posted a video of himself stepping into an MMA cage and teased a “billion dollar” deal with the UFC earlier this year, yet nothing was made official and talks died down as McGregor was arrested on assault charges for his now-infamous Brooklyn bus attack on April 5 in New York.

It’s lead many to believe that the bout was a joke that was never going to happen in the first place, yet Mayweather’s head of security, Greg La Rosa, recently stoked the fires back up again during a recent appearance on MMA Junkie Radio, claiming that while many are calling ‘bulls***’ on the fight, ‘Money’ isn’t joking when he said that if the boxing legend comes back, it will be to MMA:

“I think he might do it. I think he might come back. Never know. I don’t know who it would be against, because that stuff would be all behind the scenes, a little out of my reach. But I think he might do it.

“A lot of people are calling bullshit on this one, but we’ll just have to see. He’s around camp, he’s talking about it, and he’s not kidding when he talks to Jim Gray there and says if I come back it’ll be for MMA. That’s not a joke that he’s making.”

Pressed for his assessment if it would actually happen, La Rosa then said he believes it’s closer to happening than not:

“Man, if I had to guess, I’d say it’s closer to happening.”

As Dana White loves to say, we’ll see what happens in regards to Mayweather vs. McGregor in the octagon. But based on Mayweather’s recent words to Filipino news outlet ABS-CBN News during a world-traveling trip, he isn’t focused on any type of combat sports return as of now:

“I’m not worried about the octagon or the boxing ring. As of right now, I’m touring around the world, doing different things, embracing my fans, getting love from all around the world,” Mayweather said. “Right now I’m just traveling. I don’t know what the future holds, but as of right now, I’m retired.

“I’m not thinking about fighting right now.”

There’s little doubt that Mayweather vs. McGregor would be the biggest fight of 2018 in terms of mainstream appeal, as their first fight in the boxing ring last year was rated as the second-highest grossing pay-per-view event of all-time.

There are hurdles to surpass, however, and Mayweather doesn’t seem to be too intent on making the bout happen as of right now.

But that could all change rather quickly. Is it a fight you’re excited to pay money for?

The post Source: Mayweather vs. McGregor In UFC ‘Closer To Happening’ appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Colby Covington Sounds Off On ‘Coked-Up Leprechaun’ Conor McGregor

UFC welterweight Colby Covington has made nearly every big name in mixed martial arts his target as of late. And now he’s focused on the biggest name out there. Heading into his interim title fight versus Rafael dos Anjos at June 9’s UFC 225 from Chicago, Covington clapped back at the circling suggestions that he […]

The post Colby Covington Sounds Off On ‘Coked-Up Leprechaun’ Conor McGregor appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

UFC welterweight Colby Covington has made nearly every big name in mixed martial arts his target as of late.

And now he’s focused on the biggest name out there.

Heading into his interim title fight versus Rafael dos Anjos at June 9’s UFC 225 from Chicago, Covington clapped back at the circling suggestions that he was simply copying former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion Conor McGregor’s style in an interview with BJ Penn Radio, and to no surprise, he claimed he was here to be his own unique supervillain – not to make friends:

“People, they wanna say I’m mimicking McGregor, I’m mimicking Chael Sonnen. I’m not trying to be anything like them. Does it look like I’m trying to get followers or I’m trying to get fans? I don’t care. I’m not trying to make people happy. I don’t care. You’re gonna be mad, but you will tune in to see me fight ’cause you wanna see me lose. At the end of the day, all these people that wanna say I’m trying to mimic another person, no. I’m unique in my own way. No one’s ever done and went the route I’ve went, full supervillain here.”

Covington then went full-on “Chaos” on McGregor, claiming he used a certain substance. The top-ranked welterweight recently offered to bring McGregor in for his assault charges stemming from his April 5 bus attack on Khabib Nurmagomedov and others in Brooklyn, New York, an over-the-top outburst Covington claims McGregor only did to get back the headlines he was stealing from him:

“He’s a coked-up little Leprechaun. He’s making stupid mistakes, but the thing is, Jason, is that he noticed that King Colby was in the media a lot and in the headlines, and he was losing attention, so he was just trying to steal the headlines back. But at the end of the day, as soon as I put out my tweet that King Colby the bounty hunter was looking for him, he turned himself in. He knows he didn’t wanna get his hands dirty with me.”

Regardless of if he admits he’s copying notorious trash talkers like McGregor and Sonnen, however, he is, just as they built upon the legacies of prominent combats sports smack talkers before them.

It’s a big part of the fight game, and Covington is fully embracing the role of heel to wildly successful results, something that almost assuredly propelled him to title contention much faster than playing a babyface role would have.

Saying he’s stealing McGregor’s headlines is a bit of a stretch, of course, but that’s how he’s gotten this far, so no need to stop now. After so many callouts and so much smack, the pressure’s now on Covington to win the title versus the surging ‘RDA’ in Chicago next month.

If he can back it up, look out.

The post Colby Covington Sounds Off On ‘Coked-Up Leprechaun’ Conor McGregor appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.