Poirier: Coach Has Warned Me Against Taking Covington Fight

UFC lightweight Dustin Poirier has revealed how his coach reacted when he called out former teammate Colby Covington on Twitter. Having defeated former American Top Team training partner Jorge Masvidal at UFC 272 earlier this year, it seems that the promotion is looking to match Covington up with another of his former ATT peers. As…

Continue Reading Poirier: Coach Has Warned Me Against Taking Covington Fight at MMA News.

UFC lightweight Dustin Poirier has revealed how his coach reacted when he called out former teammate Colby Covington on Twitter.

Having defeated former American Top Team training partner Jorge Masvidal at UFC 272 earlier this year, it seems that the promotion is looking to match Covington up with another of his former ATT peers.

As well as accepting the multiple callouts “Chaos” has previously sent his way on social media and naming UFC 277 on July 30 as a possible fight date, Poirier, who remains a part of the Coconut Creek, Florida-based gym, claimed he’d been offered the fight by the UFC during an appearance on The MMA Hour.

That wasn’t the only revelation “The Diamond” made while talking to Ariel Helwani, as he also disclosed the reaction of Coach Mike Brown, who evidently gave Poirier a firm reminder of the personal attacks and insults that would naturally come his way ahead of a matchup with Covington.

“Mike Brown called me the other day and was like, ‘DP, if you take that fight, it’s gonna be two months of that, of them talking about your family and making this stuff up. I don’t know if you want to put your wife and daughter through that,’ but I’ve already hit pull on the tweet,” said Poirier.

The last man to experience Covington’s trash-talking ways was Masvidal. But after failing to punish the former interim titleholder in the Octagon, “Gamebred” sought to do so on the streets, where he reportedly sucker-punched the #1-ranked welterweight from behind.

While a clash with Poirier, who has experience dealing with a similar pre-fight build having shared the Octagon with Conor McGregor after a number of personal attacks prior to UFC 264, likely wouldn’t be taken to the streets, their history and previous back and forth would certainly lay a nice foundation for an animosity-fueled matchup.

Although given that he’s citing brain damage as an injury suffered as a result of Masvidal’s alleged attack, it probably wouldn’t help Covington’s cause to accept a cage fight off the back of that claim…

How do you think a fight between Dustin Poirier and Colby Covington would play out?

Continue Reading Poirier: Coach Has Warned Me Against Taking Covington Fight at MMA News.

Dustin Poirier Open To Colby Covington Fight: “He’s Everything I Dislike About Mixed Martial Arts”

Dustin PoirierDustin Poirier has now added Colby Covington to the list of opponents he is open to standing across the octagon from on July 30. Back in March, Covington defeated former teammate turned bitter rival, Jorge ‘Gamebred’ Masvidal, in a dominant unanimous decision outing. Following the win, Covington called for a fight against Poirier, another former […]

Dustin Poirier

Dustin Poirier has now added Colby Covington to the list of opponents he is open to standing across the octagon from on July 30.

Back in March, Covington defeated former teammate turned bitter rival, Jorge ‘Gamebred’ Masvidal, in a dominant unanimous decision outing. Following the win, Covington called for a fight against Poirier, another former American Top Team teammate. ‘Chaos’ stated the following:

“I just took care of Miami street trash, now it’s time to take care of Louisiana swamp trash. Where you at Dustin Poirier, you C***. You said it’s on sight. Name the site, Dustin. Bring that jezebel of a wife and bring that little kid that’s Connor’s kid and I’ll see you soon. You’re Next.”

Poirier quickly shut the idea down, stating he didn’t want Covington to profit off of his name. He also added that if he were to fight Covington, it wouldn’t be in the UFC octagon and that it wouldn’t be for money. 

Poirier’s last fight was a loss to Charles Oliveira at UFC 269 in December. Since then, ‘El Diamante’ has been adamant in his campaign for a bout with Nate Diaz, but has surprisingly not seen anything come to fruition despite his persistent claims.

Dustin Poirier explains his callout of Colby Covington

On Friday, Poirier took to social media, stating that he was targeting a fight for July 30 in Dallas, TX. He then tweeted at Covington, implying he wanted to fight him on that day. It was a swift turnaround for Poirier, who, speaking with Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour, explained his change in mind. 

“I don’t hate anyone, but if there was a line right before hate, Colby’s standing right there. I really dislike the guy and I’ve been saying I don’t want him to make a dollar off of fighting me, but they offered me him last week…it was either wait to the end of the year and fight for a No. 1 contender at Lightweight, or fight in July, and that was the name they gave me. So I was like, F*** it.” 

A fight with Covington may not be his first choice, but it certainly is still a big fight for Poirier. It’s a chance to establish himself in the elite of a second-weight division and to face an opponent with whom he has a lot of history.

“He’s everything I dislike about mixed martial arts. He’s a cartoon character. Everything he does is for an extra click, view, none of it’s authentic.” 

Who do you think would win between Dustin Poirier and Colby Covington?

Poirier Reveals Why He Prefers Covington Over Other UFC Fight Offer

Dustin Poirier has opened up on his change of heart regarding a potential fight against ex-teammate Colby Covington. Former UFC interim lightweight champion Dustin Poirier has made it clear that he is ready to return to action. Following his loss to Charles Oliveira last year in his second pursuit of the undisputed lightweight title, Poirier…

Continue Reading Poirier Reveals Why He Prefers Covington Over Other UFC Fight Offer at MMA News.

Dustin Poirier has opened up on his change of heart regarding a potential fight against ex-teammate Colby Covington.

Former UFC interim lightweight champion Dustin Poirier has made it clear that he is ready to return to action. Following his loss to Charles Oliveira last year in his second pursuit of the undisputed lightweight title, Poirier was uncertain about his future in the sport. There was only one man he knew he wanted to fight: Nate Diaz.

Contrastingly, there was only one fighter on the UFC roster that he categorically did not want to do any business with whatsoever under any circumstances: former American Top Team (ATT) teammate Colby Covington.

Colby Covington
Colby Covington

The reason behind Poirier’s adamance not to fight Covington was because of what Poirier believes “Chaos” represents in the sport: click seeking, clout chasing, and outlandish trash-talking.

Perhaps no one knows the depths to which Covington is willing to go on the trash-taking front than Dustin Poirier. Although Jorge Masvidal has said Covington’s trash talk ahead of their UFC 272 bout went too far when Covington involved Masvidal’s family in his verbal attacks, some of what “Chaos” has said about Poirier’s family has arguably far exceeded what he said about Masvidal’s.

In Poirier’s case, Covington mentioned Poirier’s daughter by name, calling her a “prop” and alleging that Conor McGregor is her true father. He also threw insults at Poirier’s wife, all in an apparent attempt to persuade Poirier to agree to a fight.

This all no doubt contributed to Poirier’s hard stance that Covington would never make a penny off of his family name by the two fighting one another. But that all changed last week when Poirier sent out a tweet saying he accepted Covington’s challenge.

Dustin Poirier Explains Willingness To Fight Colby Covington

Colby Covington, Dustin Poirier
Colby Covington, Dustin Poirier (Image Credits: David Becker/Carmen Mandato/Getty Images)

Appearing on Monday’s installment of The MMA Hour, Poirier opened up to host Ariel Helwani about the sudden reversal.

According to Poirier, it all comes down to not wanting to wait until December to fight again. Because it was either that or accept the fight that was offered to him against Covington.

“Look, I don’t hate anyone, Ariel. But if there was a line right before hate, Colby’s standing there,” Poirier said. “And I really dislike the guy and I’ve been saying I don’t want him to make a dollar from fighting me. It’s because they offered him last week. That’s why. Yeah, so I tweeted out on Friday, and they offered me him on Tuesday or Wednesday that week.

“It was either wait till the end of the year and fight for a #1 contender (spot) at lightweight or fight July against him, and that was the name that they gave me. So I’m like, ‘Fuck it.’”

Poirier went on to make clear that he is not going out of his way to call out Covington and he still strongly prefers for Covington to not profit off of him.

However, Poirier is chomping at the bit to return to action and with Diaz now reportedly off the table and no other names being offered to him, that made Covington the only viable option for his next opponent.

Colby Covington has recently claimed to have suffered brain damage after allegedly being attacked by Jorge Masvidal earlier this year outside a Miami restaurant. There is no word yet on if he is interested in fighting so soon after the alleged incident.

Masvidal is currently facing charges for felony aggravated battery and other charges. The trial start date is currently set for August 29.

MMA News will keep you abreast of any further updates on this developing story.

Continue Reading Poirier Reveals Why He Prefers Covington Over Other UFC Fight Offer at MMA News.

Sterling Considers Masvidal’s Alleged Attack Of Covington “Weird” & “Low”

UFC Bantamweight Champion Aljamain Sterling has become the latest to weigh in on Jorge Masvidal and Colby Covington’s street altercation. Earlier this year, just weeks after they shared the Octagon in the UFC 272 main event, former friends Masvidal and Covington came to blows outside the Papi Steak Restaurant in Miami, with “Gamebred” accused of…

Continue Reading Sterling Considers Masvidal’s Alleged Attack Of Covington “Weird” & “Low” at MMA News.

UFC Bantamweight Champion Aljamain Sterling has become the latest to weigh in on Jorge Masvidal and Colby Covington’s street altercation.

Earlier this year, just weeks after they shared the Octagon in the UFC 272 main event, former friends Masvidal and Covington came to blows outside the Papi Steak Restaurant in Miami, with “Gamebred” accused of sucker-punching his arch-rival from behind.

After his arrest, Masvidal was charged with aggravated battery and criminal mischief. Following his first court appearance late last month, the #8-ranked UFC welterweight was issued a stay-away order, meaning he must remain at least 25 feet away from “Chaos.”

Since the incident, which Masvidal appeared to suggest served as payback for Covington’s personal pre-fight trash talk, a host of notable names in the MMA community have given their thoughts.

While some, including Ben Askren, Neil Magny, and Kamaru Usman, have criticized Masvidal’s attack, others, such as UFC President Dana White, Khabib Nurmagomedov, and Tyron Woodley, appeared to follow the sentiment that the incident was not a surprise given Covington’s remarks about Masvidal’s family.

Now, the UFC bantamweight king has revealed which side of the fence he sits on.

Sterling: Masvidal’s Attack Of Covington Was “Low”

During a recent appearance on The Schmozone podcast, Sterling shared a view that many have in recent times, questioning why Masvidal felt the need to attack the former interim champion despite having had 25 minutes in a cage with him just weeks prior.

“Funk Master” also added that while he understands payback for the trash talk and accepts that a street altercation was always likely, he believes that Masvidal’s decision to attack from behind was “low.”

“It’s just funny to me. And I like Jorge, but it’s like… as a fan, it’s like, you had 25 minutes? … I get it, fight him outside on the streets, okay, but to go sucker-punch somebody after you just lost 25 minutes to them? That’s what makes it weird,” said Sterling.

“I understand the trash talk portion of it, but I think you should still make it known, like, ‘Hey man, we still got a problem. Anytime I see you, it’s on sight.’ Okay, that’s cool. But to run up on somebody, I think that’s a little low. Again, I get the street code, but it’s a little low,” concluded Sterling.

With Masvidal’s next court date set for Thursday, May 12, and given Covington’s claim of suffering brain damage as a result of the ambush, it stands to reason that this story will remain in the headlines for the foreseeable future.

Do you agree with Aljamain Sterling’s take?

Continue Reading Sterling Considers Masvidal’s Alleged Attack Of Covington “Weird” & “Low” at MMA News.

Muhammad Unwilling To Be Official Backup To Usman vs. Edwards

UFC welterweight contender Belal Muhammad isn’t interested in being an official backup for the upcoming title fight between Kamaru Usman and Leon Edwards, but he is open to fighting on the same card. In an interview with MMA Junkie where Muhammad also left Kamaru Usman off his welterweight Mount Rushmore, “Remember the Name” was asked…

Continue Reading Muhammad Unwilling To Be Official Backup To Usman vs. Edwards at MMA News.

UFC welterweight contender Belal Muhammad isn’t interested in being an official backup for the upcoming title fight between Kamaru Usman and Leon Edwards, but he is open to fighting on the same card.

In an interview with MMA Junkie where Muhammad also left Kamaru Usman off his welterweight Mount Rushmore, “Remember the Name” was asked if he’d be willing to weigh in as a backup for the planned welterweight title fight between Usman and Edwards.

Muhammad was quick to dismiss the idea of being a backup.

“I’d rather be on the card with them,” Muhammad said. “I don’t want to make weight just to make weight,” Muhammad said. If I’m on a card with them, I’d rather have that. I’ll be on the same card and then if one of them ends up pulling out, I’ll hop in that way.

“If you’re really thinking about it, if I do end up fighting [Khamzat] Chimaev or something, training for him would be the same as training for Usman,” Muhammad explained.

(Alex Behunin/Cageside Press)

Competing in the UFC since 2016 and currently on a three-fight win streak, the 33-year-old Muhammad understands the value of a chance at the title.

When asked if he thought that fighters who weigh-in as backups are mentally and physically prepared to fight, Muhammad provided the following response.

“For me, to get my first title shot and get a chance at it, I’d want it to be legit where I know for 8 weeks that’s all I’m focused on.”

Currently the UFC’s #5-ranked welterweight, Belal “Remember the Name” Muhammad earned a unanimous decision victory in his most recent fight against Vincente Luque last month.

In addition to it being Muhammad’s second UFC main event, the Chicago native also avenged his 2016 knockout loss to Luque. Muhammad is currently on a three-fight win streak after his 2021 bout with Leon Edwards was stopped due to an eye poke and declared a No Contest.

If Muhammad really does intend to fight on the same card as Usman vs. Edwards, he’ll have to wait until the fight has a confirmed date. There’s also the question of the opponent, as there are very few welterweights ranked above him following that win over Luque.

With Edwards set to challenge Usman for the title and Gilbert Burns coming off a loss to Khamzat Chimaev, Colby Covington and Chimaev appear to be the only matchups that make sense if Muhammad wants to keep climbing the welterweight rankings.

What do you think of Muhammad’s comments on the idea of weighing in as a backup fighter?

Continue Reading Muhammad Unwilling To Be Official Backup To Usman vs. Edwards at MMA News.

Dustin Poirier Targets Fight With Colby Covington For UFC 277

Dustin Poirier, Colby CovingtonDustin Poirier has seemingly accepted the challenge of taking on Colby Covington. Former interim UFC lightweight champion Dustin Poirier has been out of action since his last shot at the title against Charles Oliveira in December 2021. After beating Conor McGregor twice last year, the ‘Diamond’ has seen his stock go up immensely. Poirier made […]

Dustin Poirier, Colby Covington

Dustin Poirier has seemingly accepted the challenge of taking on Colby Covington.

Former interim UFC lightweight champion Dustin Poirier has been out of action since his last shot at the title against Charles Oliveira in December 2021. After beating Conor McGregor twice last year, the ‘Diamond’ has seen his stock go up immensely. Poirier made his intentions of wanting money fights clear as he remains open to a fourth fight against the ‘Notorious’.

Another man who Poirier has been beefing with for the past several months is his former ATT teammate Colby Covington. The pair crossed paths with each other in the promotion after Covington trash-talked Jorge Masvidal and other members at the gym.

During a press conference for UFC 271, Dustin Poirier declared that he would never fight ‘Chaos’ in the UFC. ‘Diamond’ said that it was “on sight” with Covington.

Covington took the opportunity to call out Poirier after his win over Masvidal at UFC 272. While the 33-year-old was against the idea at first, it seems like he had a change of heart as he took to Twitter to post a series of messages.

Dustin Poirier accepts Colby Covington as a challenge

Following his initial tweets, a fan responded to Dustin Poirier suggesting he fight Covington. Poirier fired back immediately with an affirmative response to the challenge.

Poirier is aiming to take on Covington this July 30 at UFC 277.

It remains to be seen whether these two will be matched up with each other. Covington has been under the radar since his alleged physical altercation with Masvidal in March. Although Poirier wants to fight at 170-lbs now, Covington will likely be the toughest matchup for him outside of taking on the welterweight king Kamaru Usman.

Khamzat Chimaev has also been gunning to fight Covington as he believes ‘Chaos’ to be the next step up for him. If McGregor is able to solidify a return date, Poirier might prefer to hang on the sidelines a bit longer.