Jeremy Stephens Says He’ll Fight ‘Ducking’ Brian Ortega At His Mom’s House

Will Stephens and Ortega ever cross paths?

The post Jeremy Stephens Says He’ll Fight ‘Ducking’ Brian Ortega At His Mom’s House appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Jeremy Stephens had an opportunity to compete for his first UFC title of his mixed martial arts (MMA) career this past weekend (Sat. July 7, 2018), but top-ranked Brian Ortega threw a wrench in those plans.

Stephens was called upon by UFC officials when featherweight champion Max Holloway was forced out of his UFC 226 co-headliner against Brian Ortega. “Blessed” was suffering from some scary concussion-like symptoms and was thus removed from the bout.

Ortega was offered an interim title fight against Stephens, who agreed to take the bout on short notice. The timing couldn’t have been better for Stephens, who was already in a training camp in preparation for his fight against Jose Aldo at UFC on FOX 30 on July 28th.

Instead, “T-City” opted to wait for a healthy Holloway rather than fight “Lil Heathen” on short notice. Stephens joined Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show earlier this week to discuss the situation, and said he was 100 percent ready to fight (quotes via MMA Mania):

“It’s really not my concern what that guy does. I stepped up and he stepped back. It is what it is, what can I do about it? I don’t want to sit here and talk about the guy, I really don’t know him personally,” he said.

“I am willing to fight and all I know is that this is the third time that my name has been in his ear. He has seen me fight a lot, in the front row, and seen me knock a ************ out. I mean, you tell me.”

Stephens was asked if he thinks Ortega is doing as much as possible to avoid a fight with him. His answer – “facts, bro”:

“Those are facts, bro. Deny all you want, he stepped back and I stepped up. They said they were going to fight somebody else, Frankie, and I said take it and then they called it off,” he said.

Should Holloway not be ready to jump back into action anytime soon, Stephens is ready to give things with Ortega another shot. As a matter of fact, he’d be willing to throw down in Ortega’s home state of California at UFC 227 in August:

“I told Dana that I will go to that kid’s mama’s house in L.A. and fight him in his front yard. I’ll fight him August 4, why not? Jose Aldo lost two title fights, he is out. I’ve been in the sport 11 years, putting on dominant performances, why not give him to me right now? Let’s set it up for September 8,” said.

“This kid is ducking me. Whether I fight Jose or not, they can pull me off this card and I will fight this kid in L.A. on August 4. I will go to his backyard, fight him there and pull his gangster card. I saw on Embedded where he is talking about he used to show up to domes and bar fights where you look at a guy, you are the same weight and you fought.

“Well I don’t know if he was there with his little jiu-jitsu crew watching guys like me who actually stepped up and fought grown men when I was 16 years old and I wasn’t even supposed to be there. That was me, I was really living that type of life. I do this **** for fun, because I love it,” concluded a fired-up Stephens.”

The post Jeremy Stephens Says He’ll Fight ‘Ducking’ Brian Ortega At His Mom’s House appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Brian Ortega Says Holloway Fight Is Biggest Since Aldo vs. McGregor

This fight is big, but is it Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo big?

The post Brian Ortega Says Holloway Fight Is Biggest Since Aldo vs. McGregor appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Brian Ortega believes his UFC featherweight title meeting with Max Holloway at UFC 226 is the biggest in the division’s history since Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor.

Back in 2015 a young Conor McGregor earned his way to a title unification bout against the longtime Brazilian featherweight kingpin in the main event of UFC 194. The UFC poured a ton of promotion and cash into the fight, only to see the Irishman end things in 13 seconds with his signature left hook.

Now, McGregor is seemingly done at featherweight and Max Holloway reigns as the king of the division. Ortega has emerged as the premiere contender for the title coming off a first round knockout over Frankie Edgar earlier this year.

Holloway and Ortega will co-main event UFC 226 on pay-per-view (PPV) on July 7th. T-City joined Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show yesterday (Mon. June 25, 2018) and explained why he thinks his fight with Holloway is the biggest since Aldo vs. McGregor (quotes via MMA Mania):

“From what I have seen, I feel like this is going to be the biggest fight in featherweight history since Conor and Aldo. If you look at it as in terms of the biggest fight, I feel this will be the biggest since then. I feel like he’s fought the same guys I fought except for Frankie. He beat Aldo twice.

“These guys are from a different generation, right. I feel like these guys are the beginning of the featherweight division, and now I fought against a veteran and he fought Aldo and he was against a veteran.

“Now you truly have two young guys who are at their peak of their prime, at the top of their level and we are going to fight each other.

“For me this is exiting because I come in here in this game to test myself. And right now I’m competing against the best guys in the featherweight division. Now I’m sitting as the No. 1 contender.

“There is no other way to put than you are going to have two real hungry guys, one is hungry to keep it and the other is hungry to take it. There’s nothing else to it man except that the fireworks show is’t going to be on fourth of July but on the seventh of July.”

The post Brian Ortega Says Holloway Fight Is Biggest Since Aldo vs. McGregor appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Brian Ortega Claims Max Holloway Fight Is Biggest Since Aldo vs. McGregor

Brian Ortega believes that his fight against Max Holloway at UFC 226 for the featherweight title is the biggest in the division’s history since Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo in 2015. At the time the UFC threw a ton of promotion into the fight, whi…

Brian Ortega believes that his fight against Max Holloway at UFC 226 for the featherweight title is the biggest in the division’s history since Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo in 2015. At the time the UFC threw a ton of promotion into the fight, which at the time was arguably the biggest in the promotion’s […]

The post Brian Ortega Claims Max Holloway Fight Is Biggest Since Aldo vs. McGregor appeared first on MMA News.

10 MMA Stars Who Fought The UFC In Court

Fighting an opponent in the octagon is one thing, but over the years, some mixed martial arts stars have gone one step further and taken it upon themselves to battle the UFC themselves. In this article, we’ll explore 10 such instances where big-name fighters have sought to slug it out with the sport’s leading organization […]

The post 10 MMA Stars Who Fought The UFC In Court appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Fighting an opponent in the octagon is one thing, but over the years, some mixed martial arts stars have gone one step further and taken it upon themselves to battle the UFC themselves.

In this article, we’ll explore 10 such instances where big-name fighters have sought to slug it out with the sport’s leading organization in a court of law, and often found that it can be just as grueling and painful a process as going toe-to-toe with a bitter rival in the octagon.

Mark Hunt

The fan favorite knockout artist was incensed after losing to returning superstar Brock Lesnar at UFC 200 in 2016 only to then discover that his opponent had subsequently tested positive for banned PED clomiphene, leading to him being suspended for a year and the fight being amended to a no contest.

Hunt had claimed pre-fight that Lesnar was using performance-enhancing drugs and afterward became convinced that the UFC had purposefully turned a blind eye to his opponent’s PED use in the lead-up to the fight, noting that he’d been allowed to circumnavigate a required four-month USADA testing period for all returning fighters.

As such, Hunt filed a lawsuit against UFC, Dana White and Lesnar in 2017 seeking millions of dollars in damages, accusing them of Conspiracy to Commit Racketeering, Fraud, False Pretenses, Breach of Contract, Breach of Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Duty, Negligence and Unjust Enrichment.

A few months later the UFC would join White and Lesnar’s lawyers in filing motion’s to dismiss, claiming Hunt’s suit had “an utter dearth of specific allegations,” and a failure to establish a link, “between the injury asserted and the purported injurious conduct.”

However, that motion was denied and Hunt and his legal team are now pursuing an amended lawsuit that alleges the UFC intentionally delayed announcing Lesnar’s fight with Hunt until a month before UFC 200, because he was, “using banned substances and needed additional time in order to circumvent testing procedures.”

The case has yet to be resolved, but in the meantime, Hunt has continued to fight in the UFC, while recently warning his future opponents, “if you get popped for steroids I’m suing your punk-asses!”

The post 10 MMA Stars Who Fought The UFC In Court appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Chad Mendes’ UFC Return Is Official

After a two-year suspension from USADA, former UFC title challenger Chad Mendes’ octagon return is official. News came today (Mon., May 7, 2018) from the UFC via the CenturyLink Arena Boise’s official website that Mendes will return against Myles Jury at UFC Fight Night 133 on July 14 from Idaho. A two-time title contender who has […]

The post Chad Mendes’ UFC Return Is Official appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

After a two-year suspension from USADA, former UFC title challenger Chad Mendes’ octagon return is official.

News came today (Mon., May 7, 2018) from the UFC via the CenturyLink Arena Boise’s official website that Mendes will return against Myles Jury at UFC Fight Night 133 on July 14 from Idaho.

A two-time title contender who has fought a veritable laundry list of the top 145-pound fighters in the world for years, Mendes has been out of action since December 2015 following a first-round knockout loss to Frankie Edgar. After the win, he was suspended for two years by USADA for testing positive for growth hormone.

One of the most powerful and athletically gifted fighters in the deeply talented UFC featherweight division, Mendes is well known for his rivalries with Conor McGregor, whom he met in a highly-publicized short-notice rivalry in July 2015 after longtime champ Jose Aldo, whom “Money” fought twice as well, pulled out on short notice.

He should be primed for a return to the top of the 145-pound ranks, yet his back will still be against the wall when he returns against Jury, as he’s lost three out of his last four bouts to the cream of the division.

Former lightweight Jury should provide a stiff test. He recently got over a rough patch in his UFC career in a new division, outlasting former WSOF champion Rick Glenn in his recent bout after stopping Mike De La Torre to run his UFC record at 145 pounds to 2-1.

With the addition of Mendes vs. Jury, the growing UFC Boise lineup looks like this as of now:

Junior Dos Santos vs. Blagoy Ivanov

Paul Felder vs. James Vick

Marion Reneau vs. Cat Zingano

Liz Carmouche vs. Jennifer Maia

Said Nurmagomedov vs. Justin Scoggins

Myles Jury vs. Chad Mendes

The post Chad Mendes’ UFC Return Is Official appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Frankie Edgar Calls For Winner Of Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega

Former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar managed to get back on track after a devastating knockout loss to Brian Ortega in March. Seven weeks later, Edgar defeated Cub Swanson a second time, and now “The Answer” wants another shot at featherweight gold. Edgar has lost twice to former divisional kingpin Jose Aldo but has otherwise cleared out […]

The post Frankie Edgar Calls For Winner Of Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.

Former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar managed to get back on track after a devastating knockout loss to Brian Ortega in March.

Seven weeks later, Edgar defeated Cub Swanson a second time, and now “The Answer” wants another shot at featherweight gold.

Edgar has lost twice to former divisional kingpin Jose Aldo but has otherwise cleared out the rest of the division outside of Ortega and Holloway.

“The Answer” made recently his case for the winner of UFC 226’s 145-pound title tilt during this week’s edition of The MMA Hour:

“I still think I’m the guy. S**t, I risked that shot, maybe I shouldn’t have like people said, but I’m going to do it every single time. I still believe I can win that fight (with Ortega). I was doing well in that fight, obviously I got caught and Ortega did a good job of finishing.

“But yeah, I want the winner. I think I deserve it. I’m No. 3. We’ll see what happens.”

The loss to Ortega marked the first time Edgar had ever been knocked out or finished in a fight. At the time, Edgar was already the next in line to fight Holloway, but he took the Ortega fight anyway in a high-risk, low-reward matchup for the former champ.

Do you think Edgar deserves a title shot after winning the Swanson rematch?

Or will “The Answer” have to rack up another win or two to fully erase the Ortega KO?

The post Frankie Edgar Calls For Winner Of Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega appeared first on LowKickMMA.com.