Chael Sonnen Slams UFC Welterweights For Being ‘Scared’ To Fight Khamzat Chimaev

Chael Sonnen has slammed the top of the UFC’s welterweight division. Although the welterweight division is one of the best divisions in the UFC, Sonnen is not a fan of it. The top guys are all clamouring for a title shot and don’t appear op…

Chael Sonnen has slammed the top of the UFC’s welterweight division. Although the welterweight division is one of the best divisions in the UFC, Sonnen is not a fan of it. The top guys are all clamouring for a title shot and don’t appear open to fighting below them. For Sonnen, he is baffled by […]

Chael Sonnen Claims Top Welterweights Are ‘Scared’ Of Khamzat Chimaev

ChimaevWell, it’s certainly a bold statement from the former two-time UFC middleweight title challenger, but Chael Sonnen believes that the promotion’s top welterweight contenders are “scared” of the streaking uber-prospect, Khamzat Chimaev. The winner of three Octagon outings between his promotional bow which occurred last July and September, Chimaev immediately burst onto the scene with […]

Chimaev

Well, it’s certainly a bold statement from the former two-time UFC middleweight title challenger, but Chael Sonnen believes that the promotion’s top welterweight contenders are “scared” of the streaking uber-prospect, Khamzat Chimaev.

The winner of three Octagon outings between his promotional bow which occurred last July and September, Chimaev immediately burst onto the scene with eye-catching stoppages of John Philips, Rhys McKee, and a particularly devastating seventeen-second knockout of Gerald Meerschaert. 

Failing to feature in the Octagon since his UFC Vegas 11 stoppage win over Roufusport mainstay, Meerschaert, Chimaev is continuing to deal with lingering health issues amid a positive COVID-19 test result late last year

Scheduled to match with the #3 ranked, Leon Edwards in a high-profile potential title-eliminator at UFC Vegas 17 in December, Birmingham native, Edwards was himself forced from proceedings after he tested positive for the novel coronavirus. 

Rebooked for UFC Fight Island 7 in January, and a subsequent UFC Vegas 21 outing on March 13 — the above mentioned lingering health issues which have plagued Chimaev’s activity since his positive test result has forced the cancellation of both matchups, with the promotion expected to book Edwards against a new opponent in a bid to keep him on the March card.

Giving his thoughts on the lie of the welterweight land at the moment, Sonnen spoke with ESPN MMA reporter, Ariel Helwani on their show, Ariel & The Bad Guy — claiming that the upper-echelon of the 170-pound division are “scared” of the emerging Chimaev.

170 pounds has been a little bit baffling right now,” Sonnen said. “Get, up, get to work and get busy. I don’t understand what all these guys are doing. They all got scared of (Khamzat) Chimaev — they don’t want to admit that, but they did.

Chimaev has removed himself, and it sounds like a time — and in all fairness, (Jorge) Masvidal’s hands aren’t clean in this either,” Sonnen said. “Masvidal hasn’t stepped in there (the Octagon) in over a year and has held things up. I mean look, Ariel (Helwani), squat on your spot? I don’t know about that one. But to your point, are you guys fighters or not?

In regards to activity amongst the top-five of the welterweight rankings, champion Kamaru Usman knocked back most recent title challenger, Gilbert Burns just last weekend at UFC 258 — stopping the Brazilian with a third round knockout

Former interim 170-pound titleholder, Colby Covington has been linked with a matchup against the above mentioned, #3 ranked Edwards possibly for a March date, however, he’s claimed he’s not doing “charity” for the Team Renagade BJJ & MMA mainstay, distancing himself from the matchup.

Masvidal, whom Sonnen referred to, last featured at UFC 251 in July of last year on ‘Fight Island’ — dropping a unanimous decision loss to incumbent titleholder, Usman, Following his successful defence last weekend, Usman called for a rematch with Masvidal — with the promotion expected to explore that option.

Rounding out the top-five, two-time title challenger, Stephen Thompson has won two consecutively — scoring unanimous decision triumphs over both Vicente Luque and Geoff Neal, but is expected to be sidelined until the summer as he deals with a hand injury suffered in his December win over fellow striker, Neal. 

Chael Sonnen Believes Conor McGregor Looked ‘Slower Than I Remember’ Against Dustin Poirier

Chael Sonnen thinks Conor McGregor was a lot slower than he remembers. In the main event of UFC 257, McGregor made his return to the Octagon against Dustin Poirier. In the lead-up to the scrap, the Irishman said he would KO Poirier inside 60 seconds. H…

Chael Sonnen thinks Conor McGregor was a lot slower than he remembers. In the main event of UFC 257, McGregor made his return to the Octagon against Dustin Poirier. In the lead-up to the scrap, the Irishman said he would KO Poirier inside 60 seconds. However, that was far from the case as it was […]

Vitor Belfort Wants To Fight Anderson Silva & Chael Sonnen

BelfortFormer UFC Light Heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort has called for fights against “legends” Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen. The Brazilian is currently signed for ONE Championship, however he is yet to make his promotional debut due to the pandemic. Speaking with TMZ Sports Belfort said “Listen, I told my agent, ‘Come on man, stop the […]

Belfort

Former UFC Light Heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort has called for fights against “legends” Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen.

The Brazilian is currently signed for ONE Championship, however he is yet to make his promotional debut due to the pandemic.

Speaking with TMZ Sports Belfort said “Listen, I told my agent, ‘Come on man, stop the bs. Tell them to sign the contract. Get these legends.’ I heard that Anderson Silva got released, so we got some (potential opponents). I want Chael Sonnen, I really want to shut his mouth. We were supposed to fight one time but he got caught up in steroids or whatever it was, drugs. I’m ok with it. You can take whatever you want. I will beat your ass. Chael Sonnen, let’s go man.”

Belfort then goes on to talk about Sonnen and his trash talking antics “Chael knows. Chael, listen man, you’re a big talker, you’re a great salesman, let’s go. You will sell the fight and after I whip you, your mom is going to root for me. Chael’s family likes Vitor Belfort, they don’t like Chael. Even his family don’t like Chael.”

Then when speaking about Silva the 43-year-old said “Anderson you know, he’s living off off that kick so forget it. Let’s go. It’s time to go. I’m a fine wine and so unfortunately in sports, they don’t treat the finer wines so well. But look, Tom Brady and Drew Brees and many other athletes are proving wrong and I think if we can bring the legends back in an entertaining segment with fights that makes sense, I’m all in.” (Transcribed by BJPENN.com)

Belfort previously faced Anderson Silva for the UFC Middleweight title at UFC 126 in Las Vegas when Silva landed the famous front kick in the first round to retain his title. While Belfort was expected to face Sonnen at UFC 175 however, Sonnen failed a random drug test which resulted in him being removed from the bout.

Would you like to see Belfort fight Sonnen or Silva?

Chael Sonnen Doubts Anderson Silva Will Fight Again

Chael Sonnen doesn’t think Anderson Silva will fight again. After Silva suffered a TKO loss to Uriah Hall, he was released from the UFC as he wanted to continue fighting. Yet, since then, he has been denied by promotions like Bellator, PFL, ONE C…

Chael Sonnen doesn’t think Anderson Silva will fight again. After Silva suffered a TKO loss to Uriah Hall, he was released from the UFC as he wanted to continue fighting. Yet, since then, he has been denied by promotions like Bellator, PFL, ONE Championship, and BKFC, so for that reason, Sonnen doubts Silva will fight […]

The post Chael Sonnen Doubts Anderson Silva Will Fight Again appeared first on MMA News.

Chael Sonnen Doesn’t Think Anderson Silva Will Fight Again

Chael SonnenFormer UFC title contender Chael Sonnen doesn’t believe his old rival will be able to find a new home outside of the UFC. Sonnen’s feud with Anderson Silva started back in 2010. The lead-up to their first fight at UFC 117 is what cemented Sonnen’s heel persona amongst MMA fans. The American dominated his Brazilian […]

Chael Sonnen

Former UFC title contender Chael Sonnen doesn’t believe his old rival will be able to find a new home outside of the UFC.

Sonnen’s feud with Anderson Silva started back in 2010. The lead-up to their first fight at UFC 117 is what cemented Sonnen’s heel persona amongst MMA fans. The American dominated his Brazilian counterpart over the first four rounds before submitting to a triangle choke in the fifth. The rematch two years later at UFC 148 proved far less competitive, as Silva cruised his way to a second-round stoppage.

Despite the harsh words shared between the two during their rivalry, both men decided to let bygones be bygones after the second fight and the fighters have been friendly ever since. In an interview with James Lynch at FanaticsView, Sonnen gave his thoughts on what Silva’s fighting future holds.

Silva’s headlining fight against Uriah Hall at UFC Vegas 12 was largely billed as his last fight. Despite that, after being knocked-out in the fourth-round, Silva insisted that his career would continue. UFC president Dana White was adamant that he never wanted to see Silva fight again, and let the UFC legend out of his contract. In the following weeks, many of the world’s top MMA organizations – such as Bellator, PFL, and ONE FC – have come out to say they also have no interest in letting Silva compete for them. Even the Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship has opted out of signing him. Sonnen thinks that is in large part because of the way Silva handled things.

“No, I don’t think we’ll see him fight again because I think those promotions are telling the truth,” Sonnen said. “And I think there’s a much better way of going about it than the way that he went about it. I don’t think you should come out and just offer your services somewhere. I think that you should have a finished product. He should have found a very specific opponent, taken it to the audience first, to make sure the audience wanted it, then added some flames to it, and then dropped it.” (Transcribed by BJPENN.com)

Sonnen believes that Silva should have hyped up a fight, drawn the interest of the fans and essentially forced an organization to put the fight together. With so many organizations dropping out, Silva is running out of possible fights and time.

It’s unlikely he is willing to take a massive pay cut, and the only organizations left that could likely afford his services are RIZIN FF and KSW. RIZIN seems doubtful given their close ties to Bellator, and KSW has a number of their own stars they seem content on building.

Do you agree with Chael Sonnen’s assessment? Will we ever see Anderson Silva fight again?